Grazed electric cable

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by richard266, 2 Jul 2016.

1. richard266

richard266

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just putting up some cupboard and drilled where I thought was OK and have grazed the outer cable of some electric wire. The outer grey casing appears to be be very slightly grazed but is still covering the inner cables so it hasn't exposed anything and the circuit didn't trip. The cable moved as I drilled stopping any major damage. Should I still get it checked...

2. Sponsored Links
  3. chivers67

chivers67

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    post a picture, you may just need to get some shrink wrap insulation over it

4. DetlefSchmitz

DetlefSchmitz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That would be a good trick! In my opinion, assuming the inner wires are not uncovered, I would probably go with self-amalgamating tape. You are basically trying to restore the integrity of the outer mechanical protective sheath.

5. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Where did you drill?

Why did you think it was OK?

Is the cable where it should be? [wiki]electrics%3Awalls[/wiki]

6. richard266

richard266

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your replies. Like I said I have scraped the outer cable - its sort of taken the top glossy finish off carving about 0.5mm off the edge over about 5mm - diameter of the bit. Will try and get a pic if I can.

7. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was told there are some cable jointing kits where there is some clamp thing which allowed you to use shrink on a cable without cutting the cable, but when the epoxy resin types came out this special went off the market. What is required depends on how much damage and also how easy to get to, likely best option is to leave it alone. But without pictures it is hard to tell.

8. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The market is awash with PVC repair kits - probably a better bet than SA tape.

But if the cable is embedded in plaster, whether anything could be done without major digging out and cleaning is open to question.

9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links