Grazed electric cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just putting up some cupboard and drilled where I thought was OK and have grazed the outer cable of some electric wire. The outer grey casing appears to be be very slightly grazed but is still covering the inner cables so it hasn't exposed anything and the circuit didn't trip. The cable moved as I drilled stopping any major damage. Should I still get it checked...

Sponsored Links
post a picture, you may just need to get some shrink wrap insulation over it

you may just need to get some shrink wrap insulation over it
That would be a good trick! In my opinion, assuming the inner wires are not uncovered, I would probably go with self-amalgamating tape. You are basically trying to restore the integrity of the outer mechanical protective sheath.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Like I said I have scraped the outer cable - its sort of taken the top glossy finish off carving about 0.5mm off the edge over about 5mm - diameter of the bit. Will try and get a pic if I can.

you may just need to get some shrink wrap insulation over it
That would be a good trick! In my opinion, assuming the inner wires are not uncovered, I would probably go with self-amalgamating tape. You are basically trying to restore the integrity of the outer mechanical protective sheath.
I was told there are some cable jointing kits where there is some clamp thing which allowed you to use shrink on a cable without cutting the cable, but when the epoxy resin types came out this special went off the market. What is required depends on how much damage and also how easy to get to, likely best option is to leave it alone. But without pictures it is hard to tell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back