Damaged Door Metal Thing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have no idea what you would call this bit of metal (strike plate maybe)? It is the bit that the latch goes into.

Anyway, it has been replaced twice by the window company. The part must be faulty and now they are refusing to come and replace again.

So I guess I will need to buy and fit a replacement, but no idea how I would find the right part.

Photo attached, any help appreciated. It should be under warranty but the window company have been a disgrace

Attachments

• 20211206_183401.jpg
    20211206_183401.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The metal strip that holds the latch in place has broken off twice now. Never had this in 30 years with the old door.

That shouldn't happen, it appears to be a fairly steel part. Is that an impact mark, on the leading edge, to the left of the damage?

From what I could see, it looks as if the the broken off part was just bent to it's original shape, repeated use would unbend it unless there was some support behind it and there doesn't appear to be any support at all behind it....

Would I be correct in surmising (or guessing) that your latch is not a standard fitting for that door and you asked the door company to install it as an extra?

No, the latch is the standard one. There is no impact as far as I can see.

The metal bit that has now snapped off the original and the replacement used to trap the latch in place. Now the door wobbles a lot until you lift the handle up to lock the multi points, but it still doesn't feel that secure

No, the latch is the standard one. There is no impact as far as I can see.

OK, I thought I could see an indent in the photo.

The metal bit that has now snapped off the original and the replacement used to trap the latch in place. Now the door wobbles a lot until you lift the handle up to lock the multi points, but it still doesn't feel that secure

Well whoever replaces it, I would suggested the back surfaces of the metal piece which breaks off, needs some proper support behind it to prevent it happening again. Normally that type of latch has the wood door frame behind it, cut so as to offer support, but yours appears to have nothing behind it at all. Best idea I can think of to give it support is a flexible car body filler, but it sets hard in ten minutes. Just fit the plate, adjust and mark its correct position with a scribe, so you can quickly set it back to the same position. Remove, mix up the filler, insert, then fit the plate back in your scribed position. Then you have just a few minutes to check it before it sets up.

Don't get it on your hands, it is horrible stuff to get off - wear plastic gloves or a plastic bags on your hands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back