Damaged Plaster on Inside of External Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have severe bubbling on the inside of an external wall but cannot figure out why it is happening. We have checked the outside and can't see anywhere that moisture could penetrate.

Would very much appreciate if someone could take a look at the pics and give me a steer.......

//www.diynot.com/network/marblerun/albums/20252

I've included a photo of the upstairs room also (it's not used but does contain a sink with the copper pipes running within the solid block wall). I don't see any damage to the wall in this room, hence I'm ruling out pipe leakage.

Thanks for your help......

M.

Sponsored Links
You have got penetrating damp and its coming thru from the outside so you have got to get that sorted. Also it is a lead pipe that is going thru the wall, Is your house an old stone built house with a bit of age? You have a lot of pipes emptying into the hopper outside so you could check that the water is getting away with out over flowing..

Many thanks for the reply.

I don't think the hopper is overflowing. The wall could do with repainting though, particularly over the cracks, to withstand rain. Would that be enough do you think?

Re the pipe in the wall leading to the sink, I had assumed it was copper, didn't know lead ones even existed....

The house is 1950s.

Cracks and plaster repairs can be seen in pic 1.

The waste from the ped basin is in lead and a crack can be seen in the plaster.

pic 2 shows a flat (extension?) roof on the left and a flat (bay?) roof on the right. Pics of these roof surfaces would help.

There's a drain penetrating the left roof - often a source of leakage. And a (push-fit?) waste pipe crossing the flat roof.

Where the fascia boards meet or enter the rendered wall there are signs of previous repairs - the dark patch.

There is a vertical previous repair in the render near the right hand roof and cracks are apparent.

Cut and abandoned cables are flapping near the hopper.

Pics of the whole elevation would help. You have a number of openings in the elevation - windows and knock throughs(?) which could contribute to cracking.

The elevation was rendered for a reason - to protect against damp, or hide cracks etc. whatever, its a very poor render job.

Painting over will do nothing for a solution, in fact, it might make thing worse.

Perhaps, carefully check all the wall surfaces for cracks or plaster movement, esp over doors and windows, on the inside of the external wall in question?

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the guidance. I will take a few pics of the other surfaces. Think that the first thing I need to do is the get the cracked area rendered again, it is indeed a poor job. Will post again over the next few days.

Actually, one thing I forgot to say is that when I tap around the hopper area, there is a hollow sound, whereas in other areas it's a much more solid sound as one would expect.

That would indicate that the render has "blown" which would allow water to get behind it and track back to the inside. If that area is "blown " then there may be other areas that are letting thru water as well. So check out the other areas and see if they are "blown"...I would say that you would be better off getting that whole area knocked off and get all the pipe work sorted out and tidied up then get it re rendered,, ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back