Damaged Walls after Removing Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have removed a wall of tiles which were fixed with concrete about 50 years age. Removing them has taken its toll and I now have visible bricks.

How do I make the walls good so that they can be skimmed over, ready to be retiled?

Many thanks
Terri

Sponsored Links
are you skimming it yourself or are you getting someone in to do it?

i would clean up the brickwork with a wire brush to remove any loose bits. pva the wall a couple of times with watered down pva then use hardwall over the bricks.

i would generally skim the wall that day or the following day at the latest if i use hardwall which is why i asked if you were doing it all yourself as you wouldnt really want to do it too far in advance.

remember to key the hardwall though.

are you skimming it yourself or are you getting someone in to do it?

i would clean up the brickwork with a wire brush to remove any loose bits. pva the wall a couple of times with watered down pva then use hardwall over the bricks.

i would generally skim the wall that day or the following day at the latest if i use hardwall which is why i asked if you were doing it all yourself as you wouldnt really want to do it too far in advance.

remember to key the hardwall though.

I've made such a mess, I wanted to make it a bit better for the tyler to work with. I've done a bit of skimming before, but only small areas like splash backs and a bit bigger. I've done the PVA bit before and I've used patching plaster (is this the same as hardwall?).

I've got a plasterer coming in, so I was hoping he'd skim over my making good and then the tiler can get on without any hold ups.

I was only trying to be helpful, but perhaps I'd be better off staying in the kitchen (sure that would keep my hubby happy).

Sponsored Links
if its getting tiled over why have it skimmed - do it yourself it doesnt have to be perfect just flat.

personally I would board it out, dot and dab - it so much quicker or otherwise you'll have to wait for the plaster to completely dry out before tiling which will hold you up - damn site cheaper too

ps use moisture resistant Plaster board (green stuff) in the bathroom and Aqua panel type board in a shower area that going to be getting wet regulary

if its getting tiled over why have it skimmed - do it yourself it doesnt have to be perfect just flat.

personally I would board it out, dot and dab - it so much quicker or otherwise you'll have to wait for the plaster to completely dry out before tiling which will hold you up - damn site cheaper too

ps use moisture resistant Plaster board (green stuff) in the bathroom and Aqua panel type board in a shower area that going to be getting wet regulary

Thats very helpful - thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back