Damp above door. Can this trim be removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, so above my front door on the outside is a plastic trim that protrudes slightly. It is sealed with silcone which I would guess is perishing causing the damp.

Should I dig out the silicone and reseal? Or can the plastic trim above the door be removed and filled with mortar? Just thinking the plastic trim is acting as a tray and water sitting on it when it rains, so maybe better removed? Or maybe another solution. Pictures below.

wlTi0MO.jpg

yodgNhO.jpg

pNHpEnx.jpg

Sponsored Links
The trim is to cast off the rain and prevent damp .Wheres the damp, can only see slight mould ( poor ventilation).

Ok I see, the trim is flat on top. Should the silicone be angled so rain rolls off and not sit on top of it? The mould is what I referred to as damp maybe I used the wrong term there.

The render above the trim should be formed to cast off the rain. ( Bellcast).

Sponsored Links
I don’t think that trim is correct for the job in hand.

Any slight gap in the render, will let water in and will settle on the inside of the trim, capillary action will Slowly bring the water in and a damp patch will be seen inside.

Either get the sealant out (looks like someone has already) or change the trim, for something that sits under the render, not in front of it.

Normally render is finished with a galvanised bead or bell cast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back