Damp advice .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so I have been writing thread after thread snd this forum is truly amazing.

Okay so we managed to get our first home mortgage free and for sure it's comes with plenty of work

Now there's a fee issues damp wise and I have identified near enough every problem

We have rising and penatrive in certain spots

Now pretty much most of it I have a plan for

For the rising I am going tk use dryrods on every single brick wall of the house even in the spots there is none just to stick a nice dpc course in the brick work

This will be done internally for many reasons

(Solid brick walls for anyone that is wondering 70 year old terrace)

Now the next plan of action is to apply a liquid dpm or bitumen any advice here would be welcome

I would apply this up to the dryrod line
And then a strip around the edge of the room making and angled bead of liquid dpc around all the rooms sealing the bottom edges nicleys

For cost reasons this is what I would like to do

The solid concrete floors also need protecting

My idea is to use a dpm adhesive around the floor edges(where the liquid dpm starts) and then lay plastic Dpm onto the and floor and seel the edges into the liquid dpm lines with the adhesive then lay my floor

I have a ton of roon to cover and although I would love to lay liquid dpm e erywhere it's just not the best of pricing

This house will be a running project that only I am working on

Any advice on tools tips and materials would be amazing

(Just to add the floors are tiled I will be removing them as some are lose snd the bitumen is so old it's no longer holding so this will be removed also )

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you should post some photos of the troubled areas, you may get some specific replies.

Are there any DPC's in the walls currently?. From memory, dry rods are inserted every 120mm along the wall.

Are the external walls rendered?
For the solid concrete floors, are they damp already?

Are the external walls rendered?
For the solid concrete floors, are they damp already?
Yes there rendered ....
Some parts of the floor are damp yes

For my floors I have now came to the conclusion the the vest bet is to apply a liquid dpm suitable for damp floors

Walls are not a major issue only one corner of the house has a rising issue and that is now starting to dry out after dry rod application last month

The intentions now is to fully damp/waterproof w erywhere so if any future issues arise there is already measure in place

Sponsored Links
Have you examined the walls and found the DPC? How high is it compared to ground level?

Has it been rendered over?

How close are these damp patches to downpipes and gullies?

Have you cleaned out the airbricks and checked under the floor that flow is clear?

Applying bitumen will encourage damp by blocking evaporation.

Silicone injections will not repair the fault that is the source of water.

When do you plan to remove the render?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back