Damp (again)

I only looked under the floor in one place as I didn't want to take up all the laminate flooring (or rather the wife doesn't want me to). However, what I could see of the walls under the floor they appeared to be concrete and wider than the wall built on top if that makes sense. The concrete comes to just under floor level.

I don't know what is meant by oversite so I can't answer this but yeah, I would say you could crawl around down there as there seems quite a lot of room.

There are three unobsructed airbricks at the front and rear (6 in total).

The plaster going all the way to ground level would be an obvious cause so I will check this out.

I appreciate the responses lads.

Sponsored Links
it looks to my untrained eye that the plaster at low level along the walls in the pictures has been replaced at some point anyway..?

this may be an indication of a more long running problem than you originally thought of..

ask lots of your neighbours wether they have had problems with damp in their houses.. not just the adjoining ones..

do the walls with the damp have fire places on them somewhere along the length? it may be rain getting in that way..

Yes, one of the walls does have a fire place on it and part of the damp is actually on the chimney breast. The fire place hasn't been blocked up btw and has an in hearth gas fire. The other wall in the pictures is the party wall adjacent to the fire place.

The different plaster could be the result of a chemical damp course being installed (not by me) although there is no evidence of one apart from at the front of the house (these pictures are of the rear dining room).

The neighbour on one side says he doesn't have any damp problems and we don't talk to the one on the other side (we haven't fallen out or anything, they just keep their head down if you know what I mean). To be honest, I would feel a bit awkward knocking on peoples doors asking if they have any damp!!

No23 said:
The different plaster could be the result of a chemical damp course being installed

for gods sake SHHHHHH!!!! Softus doesn't need more ammo...

if a DPC has already been injected then it clearly doesn't work..... for you.. :)

they may have drilled a bit too far and fixed your neighbours instead.. :)

Sponsored Links
No23 said:
The different plaster could be the result of a chemical damp course being installed
banana.gif

ColJack said:
for gods sake SHHHHHH!!!! Softus doesn't need more ammo...
Hey! Just a moment - are you suggesting that my approach isn't open-minded? The one where I politely ask people for evidence of rising damp, and then ask them reasonable questions, in a reasonable way, with the aim of discovering how it occurred?

if a DPC has already been injected then it clearly doesn't work..... for you.. :)
banana.gif

I know I am very likely to be slaughtered for this, but as I cannot see where the damp is originating from and the house is basically riddled with it, I called in a damp proofing company to see what they said. I suppose the response from them was somewhat predictable in that they said it was rising damp caused by the failure of the existing dpc. However, they did not recommend a chemical injection but said due to the fact that all are solid walls and some are party walls, tanking would be the answer. What are anyones thoughts on this? I haven't agreed to any work being done mind, i was just curious to see what they would say. Mind I'm going have to do something as most of the ground floor is showing visible signs of damp somewhere and I am wanting to sell soon.

Oh and I was quoted £2400 for the work that needs doing (40 metres of tanking) :eek:

What an inventive idea - tanking walls to prevent what they claim to be damp rising through the brickwork. How does that work exactly?

Seriously, you need to engage an independent expert - someone whom you pay irrespective of whether or not you follow their advice. That way you know that it will be impartial.

No23 said:
I have read with interest the various topics on damp on this forum. However,
I found War and Peace more interesting and easier to digest :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well I received the written estimate yesterday and it goes on for three pages about how they will carry out the work etc. The last paragraph sums it all up for me though:

"Whilst all skill and care has been exercised in this inspection, we cannot categorically state that it is rising dampness that is the problem. We have only been able to inspect with an electronic moisture metre"

Oh that's great then. Charge me £2400 then use that little get out clause when it goes pear shaped :rolleyes: Not that I would be going ahead with it anyway. Mind, when I told him it was my intention to sell the house as soon as it was done he said not to bother getting the work done. Just sell the house as it is and negotiate on price for the work that needs doing. I'm not sure I'd get much interest without getting this sorted out, though he seemed to think differently. I suppose if the price is right as they say...

Also, I like the idea of an independent inspection that I pay for, but being a bit of a cynic I'd be somewhat suspicious if a new dpc was recommended. Does anyone know of anyone in the Newcastle area? I have to get this sorted out as I want to be away asap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back