damp and condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have always had a problem with damp and condensation during the winter months, which I never been able to get rid of, here’s the situation, any advice would be very much appreciated.

I live in a 30 year old, 2 bedroom, end terraced house, which is miles away from any watercourse, the house is not low lying, in fact it’s probably the opposite. The damp exists in all external corners and where there is any furniture close to an external wall. The damp appears as black marks, which I assume are mould, the areas feel cold, but not excessively wet, needless to say it ruins any paint work and laminate flooring.

I have recently had double-glazing fitted and the house is heated with storage heaters. We have a dehumidifier upstairs which is constantly on and needs to be emptied each day.

I know this is probably not enough, or the right information, but any thoughts, may help, thanks.

Sponsored Links
What type of construction is it?

Also the most common misconception people have is that fitting double glazing stops condensation. It does not - the humidity is still there, but it just settles on the next coldest surface - which is often the walls or floors -especially in the corners.

Whether the external walls are north facing or in the shade most of the day makes a big difference too.

Generally condensation is lifestyle related - another family may not have the same problem.

Minimise the production of damp air, remove humid air via ventilation, keep moisture in the air by having a constant internal temperature, wipe any condensation morning and night if necessary, insulate walls if possible.

Sponsored Links
Who built the house?

Did they by any chance fill the bottom of the cavities with rubble?

Do you have any leaking gutters?

Has someone built up the outside ground level too high?

Is the pointing in good order?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back