Damp and Mould ...here comes the hysteria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

A sad tale of what seems many facets. However, a coroner's conclusion that mould killed this child and the media hysteria does not bode well.

This appears to be a classic condensation case. There may be other things that have contributed, and I'll await the reports via the professional circles, but condensation is predominantly a tenant responsibility.

Look at those images. Has any attempt to clean that place been made? Does not look like it. But already the media is blaming landlords and firmly stating that mould is a landlord problem to deal with. Landlords are the bad people and must be punished. Lots of other "look at my flat" reports with equally uncleaned homes and tenants moaning instead of cleaning.

And I see the mitigation (from the lawyers) that this was an immigrant family who could not speak English. That's one for another thread, and I hear the claim bells already ringing loud from these and other tenants already - if not under Landlord and Tenant Law then under the Equality Act ... "being treated less favourably".

But I hope rationality not emotion prevails

Sponsored Links
Whatever the cause, it’s very sad for the child and the parents.

Rochdale is of course a Labour led council, so I’m sure it will get used as a political football…..personally I’ve no idea where culpability lies.

I live in the area (10 or so miles away), and I believe I know the development where this occurred. It isn't the town's greatest area, but there are white (indiginous) people living there, too.

Rochdale is cold and very wet in winter, so what's the betting this family wasn't running the central heating, to save money, and that the windows were never opened in winter, nor the mould wiped off.

I've worked with a few ex-RBH joiners who've told me stories of going into homes which were black with mould because the CH was never run (heating was by paraffin stove, which generates lots of water vapour) and where the windows were never opened. So maybe the finger pointers should start to look at the quality of housing of ALL people in public housing and perhaps consider an education scheme on the need for ventilation - that is not the responsibility if the landlord

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
As I live in the area, and I believe I know the development where this occurred. It isn't the town's greatest area, but there are white (indiginous) people living there, too.

Rochdale is cold and very wet in winter, so what's the betting this family wasn't running the central heating, to save money, and that the windows were never opened in winter, nor the mould wiped off.
A sad story for those concerned but this has been discussed before. I commented on it last year.

70A5B25E-2832-4A20-A969-24C321315193.png

2020, so before the current fuel cost crisis...

Seen this so many times when I had maintenance contracts on flats where the tenants never opened windows, even in bathrooms and kitchens, mould everywhere, drying wet clothes on radiators was another cause, would have to bleach the walls and ceilings and re-decorate with mould inhibiting emulsion, horrible job.

2020, so before the current fuel cost crisis...
Rochdale was still cold and damp in winter before 2020. It's a feature of life in the Pennines, especially on the west (weather) side

I haven't done much social housing, but the situation referred to by @ic1927 above (in Bradford and the Rossy Valley) is my experience, too.

Whatever the cause, it’s very sad for the child and the parents.

Rochdale is of course a Labour led council, so I’m sure it will get used as a political football…..personally I’ve no idea where culpability lies.

Every example I've seen working for private landlords has been the fault of the tenant, running tumble dryers unvented to outside etc, not opening windows. I'm sure there are landlords who are culpable but I've not worked for them, and wouldn't.

Could be landlord at fault, BUT

I've seen too many flats wrecked by condensation caused by tenants, to not blame the tenant first.
Note there's mould on the wall behind the top of the radiators - where I bet they draped wet clothes and never put the heating on.
They usually bleat that they can't afford xyz - well you can't live here then.
It's always in my tenancy agreements that a condition of taking the place is that no clothes are dried in it because mould is a health hazard. I started providing a rented washer dryer, or two in an HMO. WD costs about £4 a week each in rent..
I evicted one family for doing it. Cost me a month's rent (and a lawyer because I was cross), but it was worth getting them out. They beatched about black mould, she was preggo, I found they'd blocked the vents.

What's sad for the parents is they were ignorant, and too stupid to learn. Harsh but real.

I don't know....non of us do.
But
If said that it's the Tennants fault and condensation...... Then the least the Labour council could do is educate them as too the causes of mould.

Bad construction and ventilation are also causes for mold

That said I don't believe this is racism.

People if be born in this country or a refugee need to take responsibility.

Very sad he looked a sweet little boy.
Genuine refugees come here to be safe and live a good life.
This should never happen in this country.

Last edited:
Usually occurs in poorly constructed, low quality, cheaply presented properties.
We’ve been drying clothes on airers upstairs, the weathers cold we dont have windows open much……we get a bit of condensation but never seen a hint of mould anywhere and house is bone dry.

I find it hard to believe in a well built property high levels of mould could happen whatever the living style.

We’ve been drying clothes on airers upstairs, the weathers cold we dont have windows open much……we get a bit of condensation but never seen a hint of mould anywhere and house is bone dry.

I find it hard to believe in a well built property high levels of mould could happen whatever the living style.

I think this the problem, there are very few well built properties. Even the top end houses out of our reach are generally of bad construction.

In this weather, Mrs Mottie dries our clothes on a couple of airers - one in the little front bedroom (that is an electrically heated one) and one on the landing - oh, and a few things over the landing bannisters. It’s bloody freezing upstairs though as she has the upstairs windows open. Goes mad if I close them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back