Damp and wet everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Hoping someone can help me with these damp problems im having. Please note these patchs appear more prominently when it rains heavily. I have had builders quote me prices on damp courses etc but also had people tell me I dont need a damp course doing.

This one is from by my front door. I had a new door fitted a couple of weeks ago but the problem was there beforehand. I have been under the floorboards to see if there was any s#@t lingering around but there was nothing and everything seemed to be fine so I dont think the damp is starting from the bottom of the patch.

Before you look at the next ones please be aware new roof tiles were installed before I moved in.

These ones are from my chimney breast that runs from the living room floor right the way through the bedroom. The fireplace has been bricked up. The first pic is from the left hand side of the breast, the second is the front of the breast. I have assumed the first pic could be a leak but cant understand how, in the second pic, the damp could get to the front of the breast.

This one is from a second chimney breast in my spare bedroom. This did run from my kitchen through to the spare room but has had the half in the kitchen knocked out. It has also had the top end which would come ou the roof knocked out. Note I didnt have the chimney knocked out, it was done before I purchased the house.

Sponsored Links
You almost certainly have a problem with your roof and flashing. Get a roofer in to have a look, make that roofers.

No you don't have rising damp as there is almost no such thing, I have never come across such a thing.

Also take a close look at your guttering and down pipes.

Cheers John
I have already had a roofer tell me the roof looks ok, that was before the problems got worse though, so I will take your advice and I will get a second opinion. The same fella also told me my guttering was ok. The led around the existing chimney has been replaced, obviosuly this hasnt worked.

Any idea what the damp by the door is. This wall is adjacent to the neighbours so has a cavity. Could I be right in thinking this could also be a leak in the roof and it is reaching all the way down starirs?

hows the flaunching on your chimney? some of those walls look like disused chimney breast..?

Sponsored Links
They are disused chimney breasts. Why would that matter? Sorry if that sounds a bit blunt. I'm not being an ass.

I think you'll find whoever did the lead did it wrong and it is actually directing water into the chimney breast - hence the watermarks.

What about the chimney breast in the spare room though? That doesn't carry on through the roof. It has been knocked down

Pab666 it could be a few different things, if you can't provide any pictures from the outside then I would suggest you buy an inspection camera, then remove a brick from your chimney breast and have a look yourself when it rains rather than keep paying for different remedies.

I would say looking from an amateurs point of view it seems to be the roof/flashing for the watery issues you have coming from above. As for the damp by the door it seems to be some sort of penetrative damp. Like another member said on here "rising damp" does not really exist, well not in the sense that most seem to believe and usually damp of this nature is caused by penetration or imperfections in a buildings structure which will permit water to enter.

We are having a similar issue at the moment and we are looking into drainage as being the cause. Like I said it could be a multitude of issues, surface runoff, broken pipework, etc some of these you can investigate yourself if your have the time.

Always get more than one quote for any work that need doing, it will save you time and money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back