Damp Around Window Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We have recently noticed that in our living room the wall adjoining the window is getting damp and when the weather is bad we are getting wet patches on the wallpaper as shown in this picture:

The window was fitted about 14 years ago and it is only recently that we have noticed the damp.

This is the silicone sealant around the window frame on the outside:

...which does show signs of shrinkage and poor adherance to the PVC frame.

Should I be ok by just removing the existing bead of sealant, cleaning it up and then replacing with a new bead of silicone sealant.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
does the brick and pointing work all around the window appear in good order? it wouldn't do any harm as such to remove the old silicon, clean and apply new silicon, see if that does the trick. if not, water maybe getting in via failed brick and/or pointing. also bear in mind water can travel i.e. the area it shows itself internally might not reflect where it's entering externally, however that pic does appear to indicate water ingress at the other side of the window.

be cautious! i had damp on a patch of wall in a flat i rent out, not immediately beside a window granted. one company quoted circa £2.5k to do stuff on exterior wall, knock out half the interior wall, treat, re-brick etc etc. long story short, other (competent) builder diagnosed historic internal damp at that specific area and resolved for circa £400. so if you do get folk in to advise you, shop around and get 2-3 quotes ... without telling them what other tradesmen are saying.

as i say though if everything appears sound, why not try the silicon as a first attempt ... it might resolve it :)

When that silicone was applied, it looks like the universal tool wasn't used....a wet finger to push it in!
John :)

does the brick and pointing work all around the window appear in good order? it wouldn't do any harm as such to remove the old silicon, clean and apply new silicon, see if that does the trick. if not, water maybe getting in via failed brick and/or pointing. also bear in mind water can travel i.e. the area it shows itself internally might not reflect where it's entering externally, however that pic does appear to indicate water ingress at the other side of the window.

be cautious! i had damp on a patch of wall in a flat i rent out, not immediately beside a window granted. one company quoted circa £2.5k to do stuff on exterior wall, knock out half the interior wall, treat, re-brick etc etc. long story short, other (competent) builder diagnosed historic internal damp at that specific area and resolved for circa £400. so if you do get folk in to advise you, shop around and get 2-3 quotes ... without telling them what other tradesmen are saying.

as i say though if everything appears sound, why not try the silicon as a first attempt ... it might resolve it :)
Thanks for that. I must admit that the pointing could do with re-doing as it has receded a fair bit. At this stage I won't be getting anyone in to do it and whatever I do I was planning to do it myself.

When that silicone was applied, it looks like the universal tool wasn't used....a wet finger to push it in!
John :)
No, I agree. It certainly doesn't look as though the silicone was smoothed over with a wet finger.

Thank you both for your input.

Sponsored Links
Looks like the sealant just needs redoing. Ensure the surfaces are nice and clean first if you want the new sealant to stick properly and last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back