Damp Brickwork - Single Skin Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I’m sure this has been covered so many times, but looking for some first hand experience as to how I’m best to fix this issue.

I have a small single skin garage where the lower bricks are damp, and this dampness is soaking into the garage as you’ll see pictured. From what I can see, there is no DPC, and I believe this is common for the age of the property.

I’m leaning towards bitumen painting the inside and outside lower courses, but keen to hear other suggestions? The dehumidifier is working overdrive at the moment and my tools are rusting, so desperate to fix!

9F5C9E5E-964A-4612-B3AF-C644267763D2.jpeg
6E56916C-B250-4154-B773-FDB11013DFD5.jpeg

Sponsored Links
also, a couple of air bricks on 2 separate walls would help.

Sponsored Links
I believe this is the membrane under the concrete slab, 2 different things I believe?

Ventiallation is not an issue as I have 4 air bricks (I hope that’s sufficient for a single car garage anyway!)
Hard to believe then that whoever built it had the wherewithal to fit a damp proof membrane under the floor and not a damp proof course.
can we see the door and it’s relation to the level outside?

Is there a step up to the garage floor, in other words has the damp bridged from the slab inside?

You could introduce a physical dpc - at the correct height, but a lot of work, - or consider a simpler diy solution, from this bloke:

Easy DIY Solution to Treat Rising Damp in Walls - YouTube

Blup

That stuff appears to be what I’m looking for, assuming it’s as good as his makes out! Thanks for that, I reckon that’s a winner at the moment.

Here is the door:

9535A980-48C9-4CB7-91CE-17E09191CD68.jpeg

Hard to believe then that whoever built it had the wherewithal to fit a damp proof membrane under the floor and not a damp proof course.
can we see the door and it’s relation to the level outside?

My thoughts exactly, but I honestly see no trace. From what I can see, it could do with some repointing which would clearly help. Here is a photo of the first few courses:

DA808017-2778-4CE1-BC3B-2609E268C4BC.jpeg

4202B4A3-3C38-4D8B-850D-F9CC3C349A27.jpeg

Attachments

• 269FD39D-FF73-4400-A00D-9AE6CBDF9C5D.jpeg
    269FD39D-FF73-4400-A00D-9AE6CBDF9C5D.jpeg
    617 KB · Views: 90
It’s all level. You could install a chemical or physical dpc , but the outside ground level is too high anyway. my preference would be tanking about 5-6 courses up on the inside. Others may have different ideas.

It’s all level. You could install a chemical or physical dpc , but the outside ground level is too high anyway. my preference would be tanking about 5-6 courses up on the inside. Others may have different ideas.

Thanks for your input, that sounds ideal. I’ll do some research on that, sounds fairly simple.

Looks like the original dpm lapped into the bricks but the level outside was raised when the patio/pavers were put in. Although there is shingle laid the rain can still "bounce" above the dpm into the lower bricks, hence the damp. Repointing would help.

Blup

Looks like the original dpm lapped into the bricks but the level outside was raised when the patio/pavers were put in. Although there is shingle laid the rain can still "bounce" above the dpm into the lower bricks, hence the damp. Repointing would help.

Blup

Thanks Blup - I’m planning to repoint along the lower level, and then slurry the external and internal first few courses, does that sound acceptable!?

tank inside , repoint outside . tanking outside will look awful and trap moisture in the wall.

Thanks Blup - I’m planning to repoint along the lower level, and then slurry the external and internal first few courses, does that sound acceptable!?

I have done this by applying 6 or 7 coats of bitumen based paint (internally) and kept the damp at bay, ideally the bricks should be allowed to "breathe" though.

Blup

Thanks for all of your help, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back