Single skin storage unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning guys,

just a quick one, i’m going to build a single skin storage unit for logs, coal, tools and lawnmower etc.

it’s going to be 10 ft by 8 ft single skin like stated, my only worry is how can i stop damp getting inside?

i was going to use a 6 inch concrete slab base and build off this, or would i be better digging some footings and building on them and apply a dpc?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Footings, build off that up to a dpc level (about 150mm above ground level)
Then dpm under the concrete floor (100mm is plenty)
Then build up with the dpm lapped up and onto the dpc in the walls.
There will always be a risk of condensation on the floor, roof and walls, but ventilation should minimise that.
Otherwise you're looking to insulate, etc.

Thanks for the reply, only gonna be used for storing our stove materials and tools, so some dampness isn’t a mega problem, just want me minimalism it, we are putting our patio doors on the front so can open them for the air flow and stuff.

suppose i could always tanking slurry the bottom of the walls and floor if it starts to be too bad?

Leave it open. In other words just let the roof deal with keeping things from getting wet.

Sponsored Links
You should concentrate on ventilation not sealing the walls and creating internal condensation which will be just as bad for the contents as the damp walls you plan to prevent.

You should concentrate on ventilation not sealing the walls and creating internal condensation which will be just as bad for the contents as the damp walls you plan to prevent.

What would you recommend? A few air bricks around the top?

Any unheated masonry shed/outhouse will always experience high internal humidity levels and surface condensation although you may not see it. Ventilating it will help but it won't ever reduce the humidity. In practical terms this tends to mean that the the structure can appear dry, and not damp or mouldy, but things stored in there will get either absorb the excess moisture if they are of such a material, or uncoated steel will rust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back