Upgrading Existing Single Skin Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a full house renovation ( rewire / replumb / skim / decorate ).

I am attempting to avoid the expense of knocking the whole kitchen area down, putting footings in and then building onto the exact same footprint.

At the moment the kitchen area is a single skin brick extension ( original build ) with two exposed walls.

I am pretty sure the slab in the kitchen will not have a DPC and the brick walls to the two exposed sides are single skin.

I would like remove the slab and put a new slab in with app. DPC and insulation.

All of these works are being carried out under PD.

I would appreciate your comments. I will talk to building control mid next week.

Attachments

• IMG_4731.jpg
    IMG_4731.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4821.jpg
    IMG_4821.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4825.jpg
    IMG_4825.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4824.jpg
    IMG_4824.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
typically, planning permission is not needed for what you propose - Building Control will deal with the matter and BCO will inspect for Regs.

why not knock down both flat and pitch roofed structures flush with the rear elevation.
then rebuild to suit.
for a re-build get measured drawings from a reliable tech.
section and plan views esp of ground levels and proposed FFL's.

sounds expensive but what you propose might end up with various difficulties and expenses of its own.
eg i dont see a soil pipe stack (S&VP) & single brick will be questioned or not be allowed, render is typically used to hopefully prevent dampness, and maybe provide a bit of insulation.

It looks like there is enough room to go over that existing slab with insualtion and a screed or timber board. The walls would be a straightforward case of battens and insulation before boarding - à la garage conversion.

You wont need to go through building control for this, and certainly not planning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back