Damp by front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a new oak front door and oak frame in my ground floor flat. The door is exposed to the elements but has a weather bar also. I sealed the gap between the frame and brickwork with expanding foam. I have also recently decorated my hall using lining paper and paint. Since the weather has got colder and the heating has come on I have noticed that there is a condensation build up on the inside of the door, ie on metal letterbox cover and glass panels, and also a small area on the bottom of the door that is damp. The hall wall to the right of the door becomes slightly damp in two small areas of an evening but has then dried out by the morning. I treated the door with a professional stain a sealant 3 times when installing the door. My kitchen is very close to the front door and when cooking and producing steam even with the kitchen window right open the condensation goes everywhere. I can't install a rad on the hall wall because of space and don't want to install an extracotr in the kitchen. What will the long term effects be over the winter of 1) The door becoming damp on a daily basis, even though it has been treated? 2) How will the wall fair up with going damp and drying out everyday? 3) What can I do to reduce the amount of condensation? Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
well you know the solution
you have the coldest area in the house with all the hot moisture laden air hitting it and cooling so depositing lots off moisture
you need to reduce the moisture level raise the air temperature and ventilate the 3 things you don't want to do??

do you keep the door shut during cooking ??

you could try a heavy curtain over the doorway[front door]

Sponsored Links
I don't want an extractor in the kitchen as it's gonna be noisey and a bit ugly in my opinoin.

I don't have a door between the kitchen and the hall. There is a frame but no door, my neighbours flats have the same setup so it's not like it's been removed in the past. I suppose installing a door could be an option, although would this be that effective?

And I don't want to have a curtain covering the front door. I've spent quite a lot of money on a solid oak door, and without sounding like a tart I bought it because I liked the look of it and don't want to cover it with a curtain.

well, if you don't want to extract the humidity, then you are going to get condensation. Sorry, that's all there is to it.

'bye.

i wonder if your door is excessivly draughty at the bottom hence the damp on the wall
next windy day have a feel on your hands and knees and see if you can feel a draught

can you open a window in the kitchen whilst cooking
have you got a fan heater you warm the lobby up with for say 30 mins before cooking and see if that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back