Damp around newly installed composite door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help? The day after we had a new composite door installed, having removed a timber door & frame, water has appeared all around the internal plaster wall. The silicone seals are sound all around the external frame and there is no condensation on the door or in the room.

The water is along the top and both sides. It looks like something is occurring within the frame and the wall. There are no pipes or gutters nearby and the problem has only happened since installation.

The water is getting progressively worse day by day regardless of the weather. The previous timber door never presented this problem. There was a damp proof membrane attached all around the previous timber frame which the installer had to cut to remove the old frame but left the remains in situ as it was also attached to the wall.

The installer is coming back but I was hoping to get some ideas. We have used him for years and he is Fensa registered. We've never encountered this problem before. He thinks it may be condensation forming in the frame area which is then weeping onto the plaster. Any ideas please would be welcome. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have posted pictures of the problem in my album 'Door' on my profile. You can see the difference from 2 days to 2 weeks in the pics.

Is there any accumulation of water on the frame or the little trims he used around the edge?

Hi, no none whatsoever. The frame and all the little trims are completely dry. The wetness on the plaster appears to be seeping through from behind the little internal trims.

Sponsored Links
is it definately water? once i sealed up to some paintwork and something like this happened, it wasnt water damage, we just put it down to the sealant reacting. (it wasnt water because it was in an office)

Is that wall paper to the reveal?
Could be the adhesive slowly failing where it meets smear of sealant underneath.?

No it's definitely painted plasterboard. No wallpaper here but thanks for your suggestion.

S60tsy I think you are right. There is no damp. We checked this morning with a pronged device & it registered no damp at all. It looks like the clear silicone used to stick the trims to the wall has had a reaction & is producing a grease that's tracking across the wall.

Once we got the trims off the plasterboard underneath the paint layer is completely dry as is the door frame so thankfully it's not water ingress or condensation.

Planning on painting the area with an oil based undercoat to seal it & then putting on new trims with a brand new tube of sealant. How did you resolve your situation? Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back