Composite front door installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new Composite front door to install. It came with 2 glazed side panels which are separate and some joiner strips. The door is already hung in it's frame. It's quite obvious that the glazing in the side panels should be removed before fitting the frame, Which I have already done, but what is not so obvious is whether or not to remove the door from the frame before fitting. Weighing in @55Kg it would make sense to remove it and get the frame in and square/plumb first. But is this a good idea?
Also I asked for a fixing kit with the door, but it only came with 8x8mm frame screws and 3 50mm screws for the sill. No wall plugs for the frame screws and nothing to join the the side panels to the door. I'm assuming that I need some screws to attach the door frame to the side panels and the masonry plastic plugs for the frame screws ...

Sponsored Links
No point removing the door from the frame, out of that 55kg the frame will weigh probably 3kg, fine but then you have to refit a door slab that weighs 52kg, bit tricky on your own. Leaving the slab hung also helps you square the frame up to get an even gap all round and to get the frame in wind

For your fixings you need baypole screws to join your side panels to the door, screw through the side panel into the door, for the main fixings into the brickwork you need 100mm x 7.5mm concrete screws, no plugs needed

No point removing the door from the frame, out of that 55kg the frame will weigh probably 3kg, fine but then you have to refit a door slab that weighs 52kg, bit tricky on your own. Leaving the slab hung also helps you square the frame up to get an even gap all round and to get the frame in wind

For your fixings you need baypole screws to join your side panels to the door, screw through the side panel into the door, for the main fixings into the brickwork you need 100mm x 7.5mm concrete screws, no plugs needed

Brilliant. Thanks. Will concrete screws go into 1920's brickwork OK?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back