Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please, we are at the point of ordering a new composite door and frame.
The old door was poorly fitted and unsightly, not to mention never fitted correctly.
Our issue is the opening is just over 1 inch out of plumb on one side and approx 10mm on the other. To compensate for this they had fitted quadrant around the face of the frame, but this stuck out beyond the opening and looked horrible.
I can see four options;
  • Re install the quadrant
  • Get the frame made out of square to suite the opening
  • have a very large mastic joint.
  • Install frame extenders and cut them down
Anyone any ideas on how best to approach this?

Attachments

• IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    359.8 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    402.7 KB · Views: 260
Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the only solution is a trim after installation.
A quadrant hides a lot of imperfections.
I don't think anyone would be willing to build a door and frame not square.

They should have measured the door with an addon included this would have given them more frame to work with. Nice trim job needed now though.

you can do either of what both johnny's say , or just make the door a little wider so it sits within the cavity ( which honestly is the ideal solution if possible ) . maybe a 15mm addon either side but that makes the door frame narrower...personally if you can't get it with in the cavity , I'd trim it, keeps your opening as wide as possible

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back