damp around the front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pls help! Over the last 6 months damp has been building up inside my house all around the outside of my front door (UPVC). I can't see any splits in the seal around the front door where rain could be let in and it isn't coming from the roof as I have had it checked. People say it's just condensation but it seems to be getting worse and Im paranoid that it will start to smell. Is it worth sealing around the outside of the front door with something like concrete sealer? I'm a girl living on my own and I don't want to be ripped off! :(

Sponsored Links
Just a wee bit confused...damp on the inside building up from the outside of the door.....do you mean that the door reveal is damp when looked at from the inside?
If it is, check very carefully to see that there is no sealant missing, on the outside of the frame, where it joins the brickwork. Is the brick pointing in good condition? Check the top of the frame too.
The sealant you mention is great for slightly porous masonry and stone, but it doesn't stop rising damp or fill any gaps.
You might get a bit of blown water coming in from under the door in extreme weather, but normally drainage channels in the upvc frame accommodate this.
If its condensation, then the cure is ventilation.
Cheers John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back