Damp......can you help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Wonder if you can help me. I have noticed on a few other sites that people recommend NOT speaking to Damp Proofing Compnaies as they rip you off, so, was wondering if you can help me.

I bought a 1950's house back in November 2006. Needed quite a bit of internal work like new kitchen, bathroom, boiler and heating system, new coving and skirts and general tlc.

As you know we have had a lot of rain over the past 12 months and recently noticed some damp in the lounge.

Let me explain, we have a type of bay window and over the past few weeks have noticed a patch occur, about 2 ft off the gound in the bay window. Now I think this is due to a leaking gutter above the window. The outside wall where the leaking guttering is falling too is getting slightly green also.

I am presuming this is the cause, now can you help me with the solution?

I am obviously presuming that we fix the guttering, but other than that what else can I do?

I don't fancy getting sha**ed by some external company so any assistance would be really appreciated.

Thank you all in advance, hope you can help

Many thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan .

1st job is to fix the guttering , then when sure you have stopped theprobblem the afgfected aera needds to removed and replaced using the appropiate materials ,a competent plasterer should be able to point you in right direction there mate.

dan - you might also like to check that the drip groove along the bottom edge of the external window cill isn't bridged - this'll cause water to run down the wall rather than drip off onto the ground. Also check down-pipes for leaks (go out when it's raining to check). Also check that any sealants around the window frames are in good condition, cut out and re-seal if they look in poor nick.

Sponsored Links
Brill, thanks guys, much appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance

dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back