Damp ceilings and walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, as above, I have been renting a house now for 30 plus years, during the last 5/6 years the roof has been deteriorateing and at last is being replaced slowly.

All the ceilings and chimney breasts have watermarks on them and the rooms are so damp as are my clothes which have to tumble dry before wearing and the bed aired before retiring.

My question is what is the best way to get this dryed out, heating or dehumidifier.

Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Hell BB you can't live in conditions like this :eek:
First, lets find out why the house is so damp and what's being done to fix it - courtesy of the landlord!
You need kitchen and bathroom extraction, double glazing and maybe attention to rising damp. Lets have a few more facts please but you need full heating and a dehumidifier for a kick off.
John :)

Hi BM, thanks for your input mate, the problem is the leaking roof only, it has leaked through the ceilings and down on the inside of chimney breast into the room, there is damp in the air and water marks on the chimney breast. It has been doing this for some years but the landlord said she couldn't afford it, she is now dead and the house has now been past onto a relative who is going to replace the roof.

Sponsored Links
It could be as simple as a lead flashing that's failed at the base of the chimney, but of course we can't see what state the roof is in.
Either way, it's the landlords responsibility to keep the property wholesome so you need this done ASAP.
I really have little sympathy for landlords with the skint attitude......they are happy to take your rent money so if money needs to be spent on the property then tough - but you need a dehumidifier in there, at their expense.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back