Damp circles on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_4208.JPG
IMG_4209.JPG

Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice about the damp problem we have in our rented flat. It's a top floor flat of a converted 1910s(ish) building, although I believe this part we're in may have been added later. We've been here for 2 years and the problem has been gradually getting worse, the landlord has sent various people to have a look but we're getting little back from her and it's becoming extremely frustrating!

I've attached a few photos so you can see what I mean. The huge patch started as circles like you can see below it, but that has now spread. We have three exterior walls in this room and the damp is only showing on this one. Does anyone know what is causing this? It would be great to have more of an idea ourselves so we can push our landlord to fix it.

If you need any more info let me know, thanks :)

Sponsored Links
leaking roof

take pictures of the outside

you might possibly see something in the loft

Less likely to be a pipe or tank I think as it is so wide

Does it coincide with rainy weather?

Do you have retro fitted cavity insulation?
Looks like it could tracking along wall ties, often the cause of "patches" of damp in random spots on walls.
Otherwise is there a chimney or buttress on the outside as said a picture will help.

Hi John, thanks for your reply, I did have my suspicions about the roof!

Unfortunately, we can't get a good enough view from the outside as we're on the 3rd floor and close to the house next door. We don't have a loft space as we're right at the top in a converted part of the building, sorry should have mentioned!

Yes definitely gets worse when it's rained!

Sponsored Links
Seeing you last post, yes sounds like roof or gutter 3 floors up is why no one wants to sort it I bet!
Have a look outside as best you can next time it rains you might see a broken or spilling gutter.

Ah I wouldn't know, sorry! When you tap the wall the damp spots sound solid whereas the dry wall sounds hollow - does that help?

I didn't think there was a chimney but I've just stuck my head out of the skylight and yes there are two!! One directly where the patch is and the other where another very small bit of damp is beginning to come through...

Thanks footprints, that's really helpful! Will definitely do that!

Why not stick your head out of the skylight again, and use a "Selfie" stick to take some pics of the stacks esp. the back gutter flashing?
You could also go on the ground an get zoom angle shot(s) for posting on here?

Yeah, take a selfie, then send it to the landlord and say "Oi, come and sort your bloody roof out"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back