Damp course and house survey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter recently bought a house that opens directley onto a road/pavement and had the 'normal' survey carried out before going ahead with the purchase. Now a few months later with the cold and wet setting in she has found damp in both the downstairs and upstairs rooms that are at the front of the house. A company inspected and said whilst some was diagnosed as condensation caused she was told that due to the outside pavement being installed above her damp course she now had rising damp. was quoted £800 to remedy

Question is - should this have been identified in the survey and if so is there any chance of claiming back this cost in some way

any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
It depends what this "normal" survey was .... a normal valuation survey by the lender, a normal homebuyers survey, or a normal full building survey.

So the most expensive thing that she would ever buy and she has gone for the cheapest survey.

Some people never learn.

Andy

Sponsored Links
A valuation is not really a survey, and so would not mention the raised path or potential for damp

agree with comments above,but am wondering if proven if there is any recourse on the local council for bridging the dpc?.

thanks for the comment - i know she's up against it getting anything back - shouldve listened to dad with the valuation!!!!

she has found damp in both the downstairs and upstairs rooms that are at the front of the house. A company inspected and said whilst some was diagnosed as condensation caused she was told that due to the outside pavement being installed above her damp course she now had rising damp. was quoted £800 to remedy
If she has condensation upstairs, then that well exacerbate the problem downstairs. Equally, has she checked any front gutters/downpipes/roof generally just in case they are the actual cause of both problems?

And NEVER consider accepting a quote from a company for this sort of problem unless you have had the issue surveyed by a truly independent surveyor. These companies will always give you the same answer, regardless, because it's how they make their money.

If she has condensation upstairs, then that well exacerbate the problem downstairs.

It typically the opposite

If there is dampness downstairs, then this tends to lead to condensation issues

Also, its important to establish if the dampness is actually penetrating or rising damp due to the ground level, or if it is really condensation due to the cold wall and cold ground behind it

I would also be wary of normal chemical injection remedies for this situation as it may not be appropriate

As for liability, if the path has been laid incorrectly and it is causing the problem, then the council could be liable .... either directly under negligence, or it could be deemed a statutory nuisance - in which case the council could be forced to rectify the situaton to prevent the dampness entering the property

If she has condensation upstairs, then that well exacerbate the problem downstairs.

It typically the opposite

If there is dampness downstairs, then this tends to lead to condensation issues

Also, its important to establish if the dampness is actually penetrating or rising damp due to the ground level, or if it is really condensation due to the cold wall and cold ground behind it

I would also be wary of normal chemical injection remedies for this situation as it may not be appropriate

As for liability, if the path has been laid incorrectly and it is causing the problem, then the council could be liable .... either directly under negligence, or it could be deemed a statutory nuisance - in which case the council could be forced to rectify the situaton to prevent the dampness entering the property

ah thank you,from my post im sure i have been involved yonks back over a similar situation,iirc a trench was cut and back filled with gravel.and the local council had to pay for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back