Damp in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok i noticed the damp in my daughters bedroom a week ago and just could not figure out what was causing it. But there is an air brick just outside of her bedroom which could be the problem, just not really sure if it is. The reason there is an air brick there is because it used to be a bathroom which the previous owners had but converted it into a third bedroom. I have put markers on the wall to see if it is getting worse, but i reckon it is. Just need some expert advice on this please.

Also there is a sloping roof just below the bedroom window! how would i be able to get up there on the sloping roof?

dscf9128j.jpg

dscf9127b.jpg

dscf9129e.jpg

dscf9126e.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think it is much more likely that the damp is related to that chimney.

Is the chimney ventilated top and bottom?

Can you mark the picture to show where the chimney is in relation to the damp patch?

the air bricks appear to have been blocked on the inside but not the outside, so there is a faint possibility that driving rain might be blown in, but unusual for there to be enough to cause the problem.

Do you get condensation on the bedroom window?

My money is also on the chimney, I would also get the pointing sorted out on the arch over the window. While the pointing is being done it would also be easy to sort a more permenant solution to blocking the old airbricks.

From doing some measurements i would say the chimney is more too the corner of the wall, Im just wondering if the house next door has got damp also in their bedroom? The house is empty at the moment so i cannot ask the question. Im not sure if the chimney is ventilated tho.

I was thinking of making a hole in the bedroom ceiling to see if there was any damp above? is this wise to do so?

Here are some more pics

dscf9132n.jpg

dscf9131f.jpg

This picture is from my loft

dscf9130.jpg

Sponsored Links
The chimney needs venting internally if it is sealed on the top and the pointing also needs doing. These need doing regardless of if they are the exact cause of the problem or not, although I strongly suspect they are.

No point bashing the ceiling as it seems to be coming through the wall not the roof.

it looks to me like the chimney is blocked at the top. This will always cause chimney condensation. It needs an airbrick or similar at the top and the bottom. But look for signs of rain penetration and wind direction in case rain is being driven into the airbricks. You could even chip the plaster away inside the room and look through at how it was blocked and if it is wet.

The chimney looks to be in generally poor condition, and the bricks are starting to come apart. The chimney will be very heavy.

If there is any sign of yellow or black tarry stains in the plaster, that will confirm the chimney. Have a look at the chimneybreast downstairs as well, and feel it for damp. If there is a loft, take a look in there.

If the next door house is up for sale, the surveyor might say it needs repair and you might be able to share the cost. Ask around neighbours with similar houses if they have had damp or chimney problems, it will tend to happen at about the same age with all houses of the same build in the same area.

The chimney needs venting internally if it is sealed on the top and the pointing also needs doing. These need doing regardless of if they are the exact cause of the problem or not, although I strongly suspect they are.

No point bashing the ceiling as it seems to be coming through the wall not the roof.

Wouldn't the wall above the ceiling also be damp? Just asking this because if i do knock a whole in the ceiling this would confirm that the chimney is the culprit? if its not then could it be the air vent? We have had alot of rain in the last few weeks so the air vent could be a possibility.

sorry for going on :confused:

we reckon it's the chimney and it needs ventilating top and bottom.

You can make a hole in the ceiling if you want to :p

Start asking around for a small builder, or possibly a roofer, who will climb up to the chimney, but if you can get next-door to pay half, that will be much better.

If you can ventilate the old downstairs fireplace yourself, that will save paying someone else. Put a brick-sized hole and a plastic or metal grill over it (or drill several large holes)

Better off blocking the chimney below or you get warm moist air up the chimney. A little ventilation is a bad thing for a chimney.

There is no fireplace at the bottom of the chimney, the top of the chimney on our side has been blocked off. I would rather do the pointing myself but the sloped roof is stopping me from doing this, any suggestions on how i can get up there myself without paying someone else to do the job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back