Damp in Old Cottage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

This is my first post so please don't flame me too much!!

We bought an old 1860's detached cottage back in August 2011 (first home), it had just been decorated and had some tanking / damp proof work done on a downstairs wall which backs onto a garden.

Recently in the upstairs main bedroom we've been getting mould growing on the walls which seems to be spreading between a corner and the window.

Also, the windows in the morning have a lot of condensation.

I've had a look around the web and seen a lot of things about dehumidifiers (already have) / increase ventilation (tried)/ heating (tried) / insulation (solid walls, layer in roof) etc etc but thought I'd show some people on here for some impartial advice before I ask a builder who will no doubt give me a quote for £1000's.

So, help much appreciated as to what to do / where to start?

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
It is inevitable that you will get condensation on cold windows unless the room is hugely heated ( to heat the glass) or massively ventilated to take away damp air ( and lots of heat )

I would ( and have in the past ) simply put up with daily wiping of windows/cills as the alternatives are too costly/uncomfortable. Good double-glazing is a solution.

WAll problem would probably be solved by putting up an insulated stud-wall with min 50 mm polystyrene boards ( 100 if you have space ) between the studs.

Have you got fireplaces that have been blocked - you can`t beat a working chimney for ventilating :idea:

I'm not a builder but I'd like to see a photo of the outside of the wall.

We live in a 350 year old cottage and one thing I do know - ideally you're not supposed to tank stone, you need to let it breath.

You'd be better off having a radon barrier fitted, however this will be costly work if it's retrospective (which it is), but it can be done.

Sponsored Links
I'll grab a snap of outside next time I get the chance.

What purpose would a radon barrier serve, thought this is just gas?

Downstairs has wood burner, upstairs main bedroom as a blocked up fireplace but a vent in the wall.

Thanks for the replies - it's all good advice....

You'd be better off having a radon barrier fitted,

What purpose would a radon barrier serve,

Not a lot of purpose :!: although it might prevent you from hallucinating about building matters when sum total of knowledge is very low .

Thanks for those kind words - never professed to being a builder.

I'm just passing on what was told me by a builder. Apparently it's very common to fit a radon barrier in the Peak District and it doubles up as a damp proof barrier - or so I'm led to believe.

You'd be better off having a radon barrier fitted,

What purpose would a radon barrier serve,

Not a lot of purpose :!: although it might prevent you from hallucinating about building matters when sum total of knowledge is very low .

Thanks for those kind words - never professed to being a builder.

I'm just passing on what was told me by a builder. Apparently it's very common to fit a radon barrier in the Peak District and it doubles up as a damp proof barrier - or so I'm led to believe.

Fair play, just googled it and they are dual purpose.

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=12276

A radon barrier goes against the ground be it in the walls if below ground level or the floor. They do not provide damp proofing to upper storeys! Furthermore saying 'fit a radon barrier' displays an extraordinary lack of knowledge given the enormous effort, work and cost involved in 'fitting a radon barrier' when there a dozen or so different things that should be checked/done before doing something so excessive! :rolleyes:

To prevent condensation you need to increase ventilation or reduce the moisture in the air. As you are suffering from condensation in only the upper storey this points to lack of ventilation.

A radon barrier goes against the ground be it in the walls if below ground level or the floor. They do not provide damp proofing to upper storeys! Furthermore saying 'fit a radon barrier' displays an extraordinary lack of knowledge given the enormous effort, work and cost involved in 'fitting a radon barrier' when there a dozen or so different things that should be checked/done before doing something so excessive! :rolleyes:

To prevent condensation you need to increase ventilation or reduce the moisture in the air. As you are suffering from condensation in only the upper storey this points to lack of ventilation.

Okay.....

1/ I'm not a builder.
2/ I don't have any 'knowledge' as to the cost of 'fitting a radon barrier' and never suggested I do know.
3/ I do happen to know how much work is involved in 'fitting a radon barrier'.
4/ I know he was talking about the upstairs and condensation but I was talking about the fact the cottage had been tanked.
5/ Did I mention - I'm not a builder.

But hey, thanks for shooting me down in flames and making me feel so good.

And if there are a dozen or so different things that should be checked/done before doing something so excessive - why not share your knowledge and tell the guy what they are?

1/ I'm not a builder.
You didn't even need to say it once, your posts make it obvious.
My pleasure.
And if there are a dozen or so different things that should be checked/done before doing something so excessive - why not share your knowledge and tell the guy what they are?
Because if you or the OP could be bothered to open your eyes you would find the subject of condensation and how to counter it is posted about a dozen times or so a week across the forum infact typing the word condensation in to the search facility (did the OP look there, no didn't thnk so) you would find 21177 results. Is it so hard to search for answers before asking the same old questions time and time again day in day out only for other muppets to come along and just muddy the waters?

Did the OP bother to look at the condensation article in the wiki section of the forum either, no, thought not!

Jeez! :rolleyes:

1/ I'm not a builder.
You didn't even need to say it once, your posts make it obvious.
My pleasure.
Because if you or the OP could be bothered to open your eyes you would find the subject of condensation and how to counter it is posted about a dozen times or so a week across the forum infact typing the word condensation in to the search facility (did the OP look there, no didn't thnk so) you would find 21177 results. Is it so hard to search for answers before asking the same old questions time and time again day in day out only for other muppets to come along and just muddy the waters?

Did the OP bother to look at the condensation article in the wiki section of the forum either, no, thought not!

Jeez! :rolleyes:

This is a very good forum and you have been here a very long time and you have answered very many questions - maybe one day the question will be mine.

So maybe I'm just having a bad day - or maybe you just feel like being sarcastically rude because you're fed up of answering the same old questions over and over again - I don't know.

By the way I would have searched first for an answer to my question if my question had been about condensation. But maybe I should have posted a similar reply to yours? After all, it would have been 'My pleasure' to make someone feel small apparently.

While the forum does handily and very helpfully let you know about similar topics once you've already posted your own topic, I have seen it done in other forums whereby once you complete the title of your topic, you instantly get notified of existing similar topics _before_ you even post your own. (Not a criticism of this forum at all in any way, just saying I've seen it done elsewhere and it cuts down on duplicate topics).

And again (again) I never mentioned anything to do with condensation in my original reply - I wasn't talking about condensation at all.

blah blah blah
No, really I just don't like seeing poor advice being written.

Yeah well that's great, but could you tell me that in any more ruder a way? [laughs]

You're being too obtuse - spit it out man. Get to the point and say what you really mean.

I mean if you're going to take the time to be rude - why don't you really go to town and do it properly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back