Damp in Old Cottage

blah blah blah
No, really I just don't like seeing poor advice being written.

Yeah well that's great, but could you tell me that in any more ruder a way? [laughs]

You're being too obtuse - spit it out man. Get to the point and say what you really mean.

I mean if you're going to take the time to be rude - why don't you really go to town and do it properly?
Frankly there's only so much rudeness to go round and I'm trying to get a sarcastic post in every section tonight! :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
aires69

You mentioned some forums notify of similar topics when you type the title. This one does it on posting. Have you read the five or so threads at the bottom of the page ?

FMT is right however that many people simply post without any effort to search at all - that is a total pain.

The other response was ridiculous. It didn't answer your question at all. He might just as well have suggested getting a new roof as your problem is not related to the DPM at all and now he suddenly brings in the Peak District . What relevance is that to anything that has been written ??

aires69

You mentioned some forums notify of similar topics when you type the title. This one does it on posting. Have you read the five or so threads at the bottom of the page ?

FMT is right however that many people simply post without any effort to search at all - that is a total pain.

The other response was ridiculous. It didn't answer your question at all. He might just as well have suggested getting a new roof as your problem is not related to the DPM at all and now he suddenly brings in the Peak District . What relevance is that to anything that has been written ??

Whoa - time out. [holds hands up]

I think both of you have deliberately missed the main thrust of my point. The relevance was the word 'cottage' - he lives in a cottage and I live in a cottage. I was just relating my experience as a cottage owner until it was all misinterpreted and twisted.

I know I don't have a bazillion replies and I'm a newbie and I know the longer serving member always wins - I know 'forum law'.

Let's just all take it easy now shall we? [offers hand]

aires

Logical or deductive thought doesn't seem to be your forte. People use words like cottage to mean all sorts of things: a Surrey cottage will not be the same as a Lancashire cottage and just because he calls it a cottage doesn't automatically mean it has the same problem you may have experienced.

It really is surprising given the unresolved troubles you are outlining in Floors, Stairs Lofts - related to damp and DPM - that you feel it appropriate to offer advice as you clearly have no idea at all.

You may see this as unwarranted criticism but I am trying to tell you - without animosity - that if you don't know what you are talking about, it is better not to say anything rather than just repeat what a "builder" told you

Sponsored Links
I never said that I knew what I was talking about - I relayed what a builder had told me who presumably knew what he was talking about. (You kind of assume most builders do).

Yes I do have some damp issue - that would be a hell of a lot worse if my cottage had been tanked. I know that cottages vary which is why I mentioned I have a stone cottage - for all I know he has a brick cottage.

Anyway that's by the by.

Some of my questions have been about my cottage and the floor. Some of my questions relate to putting up a shed and looking to insulate it. Don't put 2 and 2 together and assume I live in a lake or something. To assume that I have damp issues relating to the floors, stairs, and loft is not only one MASSIVE assumption, but also completely and entirely wrong! (I hope you don't make those kind of assumptions for a living?).

But what any of this has to do with this particular topic though I don't know because it's now been completely hijacked.

Man I wish I'd never opened my my mouth now and then no one would have been able to jump down it. Jeez.

I won't be posting any more replies to this topic - please take note everyone.

ahem... anyway!!!!

I've just scraped off a lot of the paint, think im back to the plaster now to be honest in quite a few patches, see attached photos (thoughts???)

I did do a search but to be honest I see this post as hopefully a good reference for someone else further down the line as there is quite honestly no definitive answer to dealing with damp in old houses its a case of trying pretty much everything you can...

My general thoughts thus far are use breathable materials in everything you do in old houses to allow moisture to find its way out of the building which whatever you try will find its way in somehow.

I'm planning on going down to a local shop tomorrow and buying some earthborn clay paint/primer...

Unless someone here spots something I need to do first?

Help much appreciated by the way!

Goodness, are you still here :D ?

quite honestly no definitive answer to dealing with damp in old houses its a case of trying pretty much everything you can...

I think you are right about that . Approach each problem with an open mind and suspicion for any products proclaiming "guaranteed success" and " miraculous results "

Good Luck.

OK,

day of faffing completed.

I peeled off as much of the previous 3 layers of paint ( 2 x cream 1 x yellow!!) using scrapers / sanders.

Filled in as many little cracks/scuffs as I could with polyfilla..

Painted 1 coat of Earthborn claypaint vanilla (probably may need a couple more?)

Note sure why it looks so awful in this pic but it looks alright here!!

See below pic

Also, I found this guide particuarly useful. Worth noting the guys main website too has other guides relating to traditional damp maintenance etc.

http://www.mikewye.co.uk/ArticleListedHeritage57.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back