damp issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone give me some suggestions to help stop the damp problem as shown in photo

This is a front porch, half brick, half glass, more like a conservatory style than a porch, reasonable size - and got this problem on all outside walls

Thanks

damp2.png

Sponsored Links
okay - a couple of the windows had been open anyway i.e. just latched open to the point they can still be secured/locked so was some air in room - also door seal not that brilliant so room not exactly air tight

Sponsored Links
Is this a single skin wall, by any chance? It looks like condensation on a very cold surface.
John :)
Hi John - no it is not single skin - yes could well be condensation, but room has radiator which is on and don't have problem in main house, so not sure how to solve

Ventilation has to be the answer here then, assuming the room is double glazed and no apparent leaks. Is there anything the room that can give off moisture?

Ventilation has to be the answer here then, assuming the room is double glazed and no apparent leaks. Is there anything the room that can give off moisture?
No, not that I can think of - it just has cupboards containing things like beer, bottles of drink, bird food, empty bags, junk, coats on rack, shoes - does have tumble dryer but not used much and is piped through wall properly for ventilation

How can I provide better ventilation then - and is it better to turn radiator up to get it warmer or down and let it be cooler?

Do you suspect any dampness coming up through the floor, or water bleaching under the door? There just seems to be a bit too much condensation there.
Anyway, heat, ventilation will both help - have you considered a dehumidifier?

floor seems okay, cold but not black like walls - no sign of bleaching around door I don't think - not sure what I am looking for, but no marks

Tried a portable dehumidifier but didn't make any difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back