Damp kitchen wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I originally posted this in the plastering section but it seems like this is probably more of a building question. I previously had a problem with rising damp on the inside an external wall in my kitchen. The outside of the wall has a step against it and is rendered down to ground level. There are a couple of photos here:
//www.diynot.com/network/RichieWest/albums/15487/57503
//www.diynot.com/network/RichieWest/albums/15487/57504

I had the internal wall stripped back to brickwork up to about 1m height, had a chemical DPC injected, the walls were then lined with a damp proof plastic membrane and then plasterboarded and skimmed. 6 months later the damp now appears to be reappearing above the repair with the paint flaking off the walls, although their doesn't appear to be any obvious salt deposits. The third picture in my album shows the extent of the paint damage, it starts about 1m off the ground and is now rising to 1.4m The tape measure should be vertical in the pic!).
//www.diynot.com/network/RichieWest/albums/15487/57506

The wall above the repair was previously painted with standard Dulux kitchen paint, which seems to have formed a thin film on the surface of the walls. The damage is showing through on the areas where that film was removed and there's a direct path between the srface plaster and the underlying plaster/brickwork.

Could this be indicative of the walls just drying out following the repair, which was 5 months ago? Can I just paint over the damaged areas with kitchen paint or would this simply shift the problem elsewhere? Do I need to get the DPC fella back in? Any advice would be very gratefully received. Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back