damp on chimney breast

M

marsaday

i have damp again on the chimney breast in the attic bedroom.

i thought it was the chimney leaking and so redid the pointing last autumn. however the damp is coming through again.

could it be the flashing?

also would i need to put a vent hole in the wall ? the chimney is used by the gas fire in the lounge so gases will becoming up it.

Sponsored Links
i re-pointed the stone work as it was mud !

the top was in good condition with 2 little metal breather cowls (holes in them).

the flashng didnt look that good though.

Sponsored Links
long as lead is not split and the is 3 inch cover on tile wont be coming in from there , prehaps stone work has become pourus but i doubt it , is the cowel pots seated and pointed nicely no cracks etc , and have you got a pic ??

Absolutely concur also, if the damp staining is brown, the years of wood/coal burning will have left deposits up the chimney brest that will undoubtably bleed through the brickwork.Only way out is hack off back to substrate and waterproof render then skim finish.

not in the best of conditions also looks like you have lead soakers and there s not enough cover of lead goin to them , also is there any damp on the perling in pic 3

dont think thats problems is exsisting damp in bricks of that summat salts . any way to the problem at hand that flash band deffo need s replacing only last 12mths any how.

i think the chimney breast is damp because of old flashing and so i will sort that.

what about the other damp/black mold underneath the roof towards its end (small wall). could this be due to the bad pointing or is it condensation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back