Damp on lintel where blinds have been mounted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I awoke this morning to find a damp patch around the drill hole that my blinds are mounted to. I have included a photo. The hole isn't too deep and does not go into the cavity as far as I can tell. Any idea's on how to sort this?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Get a plumber to check someone hasn't drilled into a buried water pipe. That's what it looks like may have happened.

There are no radiators or any other water pipes above the window and the bathroom is on the other side of the house. There is a bedroom above the window. The damp seems to have stopped expanding. Touch wood.

Sponsored Links
Most unlikely to be a pipe there.....there's no radiator just above, is there?
Who knows what thats been!
John :)

No there are no radiators above.

I have a theory but have no expert knowledge (obviously!).

The insulation in the cavity is wet which has made the inside of the wall wet. When the hole has been drilled for the blinds it has created a path for the water to come into the room.

Any merit in this theory?

Any insulation inside the cavity shouldn't be wet, unless there's a fault in the brickwork etc above. You also said you hadn't pierced into the cavity so its anyones guess, really!
I shouldn't worry about it.
John :)

Yes I don't think I went into the cavity. If I put a screw driver in the hole it hits a solid surface.

Assuming no more water gets through and I have my heating on full blast, how long should I expect to wait before the wall is dry?

Thanks again for all your advice guys!

I would guess the window frame is not sealed correctly and the rain getting in and bridging where it meets insulation, you need to cure the leak then you can stain block and paint.

There is likely to be either a concrete or steel lintel above the window. Both of these conduct heat better than brick or plaster, and drilling a hole through to the vicinity of the lintel will cause a cold bridge to the outside, and your drilled hole has allowed condensation to occur in the area around the hole, which even when filled with a screw, will still be losing heat to the outside, since a steel screw is a better conductor than plaster.

Keep the air moving, and lower the temperature in the room by a couple of degrees to reduce humidity build up. Ventilate for a while on dry days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back