New Build - Venetian Blinds - Bay Window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We recently moved into a new build which has a bay window in the kitchen.
We purchased 3 wooden venetian blinds for this window.

I am going to need to mount them to the ceiling as they need to clear the door handles.

Its a plasterboard surface and I suspect a lintel of some sort above it but I am not sure how big the gap is between the board and the lintel and I am not sure if the lintel will sit right above where the brackets need to go.

Without knowing exactly what is above the plasterboard, what are my options?

Drill a small hole and see if there is a lintel?
If so, just use a masonry bit and a self tapping screw?
If there is no lintel, should there be joists and I can use three battons between the blinds and the joists?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Trial hole with narrow blade screwdriver will let you know what depth you have, a thin batten glued to the plasterboard would give a strong fixing. You may be able to fix the brackets to the side instead of the top.?

What size are the woods? as you'll need to make sure you have the correct fastening due to weight as well as the force you'll make pulling them up etc.

Fittings are easy enough, get to Screwfix etc and look to get a 6mm cobalt drill bit. Use this to drill through, reason being the drill bit will go through anything what's there then you simply need some red plugs and screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back