Damp outside under window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We're looking to buy a house and have just spotted damp (we didn't notice 6 months ago when we first started the buying process). The garage has been converted into a bedroom, outside under the window there's an area that's just over a metre that's damp, you can feel the difference by hand compared to the surrounding area.

There's a small drip above the damp patch which I believe may be causing the issue.

What's the best way to investigate this? Can someone give me an approximate cost of repair?

I essentially want to go back to vendors and ask for them to repair or contribute to a fix as I want to make sure it's not going to be horrendously expensive.

I've attached a recent picture of the damp, plus one from 6 months ago, as well a short video showing the leaking gutter and damp on the wall.

Thanks

Attachments

• damp garage.jpg
    damp garage.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 6 months ago.JPG
    6 months ago.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 21
Sponsored Links
What's the best way to investigate this? Can someone give me an approximate cost of repair?

No cost - get a pair of steps out, and check why the gutter joint is leaking. Plastic gutters
'walk' with expansion and contraction, which pushes them out of the seals. Often they just need relocating.

Thanks, I'll book another viewing. Do you think the leaking gutter is the most likely cause? The drip looks small and it doesn't fall directly on to the wall, but on the tarmac in front

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll get the gutter sorted first. The outside brick work had up to 20% moisture content, on the inside of the wall, no sign of damp on the plaster, but the skirting board has slightly come away from the wall along a 3 metre stretch (which could be unrelated). The inside floor is wooden, it feels slightly damp in the affected area, but it's hard to tell whether that's just cold or a genuine damp problem.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back