Damp painted external brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a victorian terrace with damp problems in the kitchen. We've recently had the guttering fixed which should address the source of the problem. The external brickwork is painted in this red paint (it also appears to have a layer of green behind it!) which has white deposits. The paint is broken and bubbling so the water is getting behind it, and I reckon the paint is adding to the damp problem.

It's going to need professional help, re-pointing etc, but I wanted to find out what I can do in the meantime to help it dry out. My first instinct would be to remove the paint. I'd like some advice about whether this instinct is right, and, if it is, how to go about removing the paint without damaging the brickwork..

Thanks for your help..

IMG_20181030_084203.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just use a wire brush to remove all of the loose stuff. Anything that stays behind is sound. Then re-point (you can do it yourself easily) and then paint with 2 coats of a decent breathable external masonry paint.

Did exactly that with a previous house of mine :)

angle grinder paint removal discs will take off all that paint back to clean brickwork.
remove any waste or down pipes.
hack out all the pointing to, say 20mm deep, and remove the sand and cement plinth from the base of the wall.
careful with the DPC bed.
the abuttin garden wall is probly causing penetrating damp if thats a solid wall or has a bridged cavity.
re-point with 3:1 sand and lime mix.

Sponsored Links
Just use a wire brush to remove all of the loose stuff. Anything that stays behind is sound. Then re-point (you can do it yourself easily) and then paint with 2 coats of a decent breathable external masonry paint.

Did exactly that with a previous house of mine :)
Hi there, which breathable masonry paint do you recommend??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back