Damp patch below window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently discovered a damp patch in our living room. Its below the window but nearer the floor.
It also looks like the cavity wall insulation is wet as it's expanded and paint it coming off.

The paint on the outside of the house is in really bad nick so we're having the exterior painted soon.
The windows also need resealing as the silicone is pretty cracked.

Question 1 is whether the cracked paint and/or sealant could be the causes or if I should be looking for other (bigger) problems?
Especially as the damp patch is low to the ground and not directly around the window. We've had some standing water in front of the house recently from the heavy rain although 2-3 feet away from the damp patch. So could it be coming up from that rather than down from window? Or maybe just water pooling behind cracked paint?

Second question is -assuming the painting and sealing fix the problem- will the insulation dry out ok? Ive read about damp insulation causing structural problems - its a Laing Easiform house so has steel ties in the walls. So Im wondering whether the damp insulation would need to be removed?
20240401_160648.jpg
20240401_161208.jpg
20240401_161222.jpg
20240406_100417.jpg
20240406_100518.jpg

Sponsored Links
The low level damp suggests a bridged or damaged dpc, possibly exacerbated by the non traditional construction of tne house. Apparently there are two types of easi form construction.

Don't paint it until you've cured the problems causing the damp.

Where is this damp insulation you mention? Water might be getting into the cavity from a defect round the window, but I can’t see it.

Can you see the DPC?

Thanks, it does make sense that it would be coming up rather than from the window based on the position of the patch.
Im not sure that the insulation is wet but just guessing it might be as the round patches on the outer wall have blistered a bit and the paint on the one closest to the damp patch flaked off on touching (see pic)

I can't see the dpc, Im guessing its at the line where the red paint stops.
Did notice that the concrete step by the front door comes pretty close to this line although thats about a meter from the damp patch. Maybe pooled water on the step could come over the dpc?
20240406_141842.jpg
20240406_141819.jpg

Sponsored Links
When looking for the DPC, look all round the house. If you find it anywhere, it is pretty sure to be at the same height. It might be visible at a doorstep, airbrick, or broken render. If you have any unplastered wall indoors, e,g. In a cupboard or under the sink, you might see it.

The red part might be a concrete slab, rather than render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back