Damp patch from balcony. Tile grouting question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ground floor flat, Victorian house.
I have damp which seems to be coming from first floor balcony, from water puddling by a 4" waste pipe.

I'm on good terms with neighbour. Just need to sort out cause and fix it amicably between us.

History ; balcony was concrete, but few years back was tiled , shabbily, with quarry tiles, as part of 'tart up cheaply and sell' project . Suspect rain water run off was not a consideration.

I think the reason for damp is that the tiles aren't grouted to the pipe and so leave a little well for water to pool in, then has nowhere to go except to the wall. There also is a little gully between edge of tiles and wall, again a damp trap.

The mortar / rendering is cracked too.

See picture

I'm not is the trade or that experienced in DIY so bear with me if I talk rubbish!

Can I just level the gap around pipe - so there isn't a 'well' around pipe? Do I use grouting, or some other filler / sealer?

Should I do the same all along the wall? What product?

Would brick sealant do the trick along the wall? i.e. Stop penetration until rain has air dried?

Any other tips or points I may have missed?

Attachments

• damp pipe 2.jpg
    damp pipe 2.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
BTW. I realise that the damp might becoming from the upstairs flat, but no sign of damp there.
So hoping for a few hot days will dry balcony out, to prove source is rain.

The balcony should be waterproof and not relie on any tiles or grouting.
They are only for decoration.
Seal around your pipe but doubt it will work

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back