Damp patches on new build house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a new build in July and gradually damp patches have been building up on the external walls (some are so wet you can blot the water off with tissue). These have also been appearing on a few other houses on the development. So far, after a month of chasing for an investigation into the cause, nothing has been done and no one can give us any answers as to what might be the cause.
Does anyone have an idea why this is happening as everyone we have spoken to so far has said they've never seen it before. We've managed to get as far as being given the spec of the brick which I don't understand anyway! Am I worrying for nothing or should I push harder for an investigation

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Recessed pointing was rightly rubbished years ago. the recess can become a ledge to trap and hold water.
if you look at the far return wall in the pic you can see lots of what could be water damage.

Soaked cavity Insulation could be suspect where full cavity insulation has been installed.

The composition of the brick might be a factor.

Are there any signs of damp inside the house?

Not in my house but my neighbour who has damp bricks also has got mould on the living room and kitchen skirtings.
They noticed theirs a couple of weeks before mine developed and they had someone sent out to investigate it who took out a brick and declared it dry. No moisture readings were taken and from the photos they're not convinced it was dry inside (they were not in at the time, the brick operative sent the photos)

Last edited:
This is the brick used. This information means little to us but hoping it might help someone in the know give us ideas for what could possibly be the cause and make us seem clued up when pushing the builder for answers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Edenhall brick are concrete, i built garden walls on a housing estate a couple of years ago and noticed sections of wall stayed damp longer than others.
It looks like you have blown cavity insulation which would enable water to track to inside wall, might be worthwhile speaking to Edenhalls technical department good luck.
Jim

Why would a new build have blown mineral fibre cavity insulation.
Seems mad to me.
Some developers reckon it's cheaper to have it blown in later, but I think it's a poor way to do a newbuild.
That is probably a really exposed wall with the wrong type of joints as well.

Some developers reckon it's cheaper to have it blown in later, but I think it's a poor way to do a newbuild.
Thank you for the replies.
Can i ask why do you think it's a poor way to do new builds and what you mean by the wrong type of joints? Youre right in saying the wall is quite exposed

The joints are recessed(as bobasd has stated), which are not as good at repelling rain as the common rounded joints.
On a newbuild there is normally a 100mm cavity which is often part filled leaving a 50mm gap, or fully filled with cavity batts that seem better at repelling water than blown fibre.
Also when the cavity is finished the wall ties need to be cleaned off as mortar droppings can build up and allow moisture through.
Your cavity looks about 50mm.

The whole point of a cavity is to stop water getting across by making a gap it can't get across. Filling it up with fluff will stop water getting to the bottom.
Technically the outer leaf can be wet and that's fine, although it shouldn't be wet all the time as that would cause the mortar to deteriorate.

Edenhall recommend using a waterproofing coat and no recessed pointing in exposed areas,and also mention prelonged dampness and tracking across cavity if using full fill insulation, hard to believe you have a brand new house built like this. Might be worth getting all neighbours involved and employ a surveyor.

Someone mentioned wall ties earlier which reminded me we have some exposed ones under the dpc. Is this a problem? I brought it up not long after moving in but it was told it's normal however I'm now doubting that's the case at it seems like a good access point for water to get in

Last edited:
Its not normal.
I've never seen ties set in a DPC mortar bed, plus the DPC has been set on dry brick, no skim of mortar.thats well wrong. and yes, water will obviously track through there. However, the DPC is low on the wall and your patch problems are higher up.
The black decorative bricks are actually projected/corbelled out to catch even more water.
That wall looks like something from the 1970's.

Why dont you remove a few bricks to see whats what inside your cavity - stay away from the patches, and you then cant be accused of interfering with the complaint.
Or follow charlie george's suggestion about hiring a surveyor - perhaps first having an hour's legal advice?

The builders might suggest a waterproofing coating.
Refuse it.
It may be that raking out and new pointing is to be done. but if the CWI is damp or sodden then it has to come out - so wait an see.

Last edited:

That is madness, blowing it in after is known to leave voids etc. CWI is also known to cause damp issues on exposed faces.

As you say this case seems a combination of exposed wall, recessed joints etc

Those wall ties are useless, they have to be mortared in to do anything, i feel like the builders didn't even have the basics. Also they are too long they shouldn't be so close to the pouter leaf.
I suspect they were from a country where cavity walls are not common, so they didn't know what to do, and whoever was supervising didn't check that.
The recessed joints would be ok if it was being rendered afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back