Damp problem, ?where it's coming from

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, we moved into our house 2 years ago, and had a damp prob by the back door (that's never got worse or better). Feel like I need to get my head out the sand and do something about it though!

It's on either side of the door, but no where else in house (can't see though behind kitchen units). The drive used to be much higher outside (above damp proofing). It's lower now, and also had the soil pipe replaced as it was cracked (by back door externally). None of this has made any difference as was done about a year ago. Had 2 builders round who didn't have suggestions what else I could do, so I'm at a loss as to what to do to fix it

Any suggestions more than welcome please

Sponsored Links
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 255
Could be concentration, do you have decent extraction in the room and do you use it? Do you dry clothes near there? Is there any mould appearing there or elsewhere?

Your house is probably pre-1914 so it might have solid walls.
You might have suspended floors - could you post a photo of the rear elevation at ground level.

There's remedial pointing smeared on at lower levels - probably to prevent damp penetration - and a crack in the wall on the left.
I'd suspect that the PVC door was installed to prevent damp etc.
The frame might do with a new silicone sealing - esp. at the threshold.
The drive is still too high but it might not be too significant.
If possible, remove the back of a base unit and examine the wall. Poking your head into a unit can you smell damp?
Have you ever crawled under the house and examined the joists for rot etc?

Sponsored Links
It's damp bouncing off that stone step and going across the brickwork.

Make good any soft mortar, and coat the wall about 600mm high with a clear water repellent, preferably silane based. Not Thompson's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back