Damp proof chipboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to odour issue coming from entire ground floor(varies from room to room), I am thinking of just blizting problem and ripping up laminate, chipboards, getting all pipes checked below, checking for mould, sources of dampness. Then I want the whole solum cleaned, treated and discenfected. Finally new chipboard and laminate put on top.

I have noticed that chipboard and laminate are quite cheap, is it possible to buy better quality chipboard that is damp proof?

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, plywood is a lot more expensive that chipboard, If I am to make this investment, what advantages would it give me over chipboard?

Also, I have a small kitchen which is obviously sitting on top of the floor boards I want to replace, will this be a problem for the joiner?

Sponsored Links
its like roofing your house with felt rather than tiles
more easily dammaged and needs replacing more often
pine or ply flooring will last a life time or 2 average age off chipboard 20 years or so less if it has gotten wet [leaky washing machine/bathroom floor] more if dry

Spoke to senior member of staff at B&Q today, he gave two bits of advice regarding my problem.

1) Use Chipboard P5, as it has tongue and groove which gives an easier to install and stronger linkage than plywood.

2) Add more external air bricks to the sub-floor, as more ventilation would help reduce odours.

Is he right?

I have another question in furtherance to above.

I have an opening in the kitchen floor which is right next to dinning room. By inspecting, I realised that the same piece of chipboard covers part of the adjacent dinning room. So the wall between the kitchen and dinning is on top of same piece of chipboard floor board.

Can I assume this is the same throughout the bottom floor of the house?

How can the joiner lift and replace floorboards that are spread across multiple rooms?

For some reason I thought floorbards were only in the room they were laid in.

Never mind the advice from B&Q, you can get T&G plywwod flooring, I don't think they stock it though so no suprise he failed to mention it. You can also get T&G OSB flooring panels, not as good as ply but still a massive improvment over chipboard.

Walls built over flooring is a common occurrence. You just have to cut as close as you can and leave the old bit under the walls. Then lay your new floor on a room-by-room basis.

do you have no idea as yet where the damp smell is coming from? I assume your house has a concrete oversite? (the ground underneath that the house sits on)

If you do lift up your flooring then you should insulate between the joists while you're there. (building regs make it obligatory if you lift up a certain percentage of your ground floor)

Deluks, I have another thread with details about the odour

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1680095#1680095

I have a couple of questions relating to your reply.

1) This cut as close as possible and leave old bit under walls. This will mean joiner has to be very accurate with cut on new floor board so that it will match - is there not a high chance of human error here and therefore gaps in the floor boards?

2) What do you mean by "insulate between the joists"?

Anyone got answer on airbrick question?

This is a timber floor right? with a void underneath?

If so: There should already be airbricks in the walls, which allow air to circulate under the floor. *edit* I can see these in your pics.

Or you may have a block and beam floor and the airbricks are venting the void beneath this??

If the former, then when you lift up your old flooring you may well find insulation beneath. If not, then add some. Polystyrene sheets between the joists or loft insulation roll suspended on chicken wire are the most economical ways.

If B&B then there should be insulation already laid between concrete and chipboard.

The chipboard could be removed from beneath if you are fussy and are prepared to drill, chisel and tap it out. But the timber frame of the walls will be fixed through it, so will be laborious.
Cutting close will also be a pain but get it as straight as you can, and you may have to pack out the floor structure beneath with bits of 2x2 screwed into place to support the edges of the floor.

I uplifted laminate from dinning room, this is what I found.

When i sniff the 'stained' bits it smells that unpleasant smell when compared to the unstained parts.

I have had dehumidifier on for nearly 24 hours and a heater taking the room up to 30 degress centigrade.

Is the chipboard needing replaced?

If not then, What cycle should I use in terms of dehumidification and allowing fresh air in?

Do you know what has caused the staining? (Related to the other problem?)

try and get a board up and see what's going on underneath. I'd be replacing the stained boards as a minimum step, or replacing them with something better as the preferred option.

I believe it was flooding from washing machine. The door you see in above photos is the kitchen door which has tiled flooring. The photos below are close ups of the bottom of the kitchen floor.

Any comments?

chipboard is a rottern material.

it falls to bits if it gets damp

it can crack just from being stood on, e.g. at the bottom of stairs or in front of the sink.

rip it all up and replace with flooring ply. You local timber merchant will sell it. It is available with T&G edges.

tip: buy the 8x2ft sheets not the 8x4 as you can carry them and get them through doorways. 8x4 are very very heavy

(2440x610mm)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back