Damp Proof Course Type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anybody identify what type of damp proof course this would be. It just looks like a thicker layer of mortar from the outside.

1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. Not sure what my DPC is made of, there is a thicker layer of mortar between the wet bricks and dry bricks

OP,
Whatever is going on, mechanical DPC or bed of mortar, its doing a great job.
If you scrape away a little of the mortar it should reveal any mechanical DPC inserted in or below the mortar.
Is your question just curiosity or do you have damp issues inside the property?

Sponsored Links
Yes it does appear to be doing a good job. I guess there must be a DPC under the mortar. I think I'll do what you suggest and take a little mortar away and see whats underneath

There is something going on the in property. At the extension the plaster is discoloured and paint peeling

Did you find a DPC?
Why not post pics of any discolorisation or bubbling paint/plaster - close up and context shots will help.

The thick mortar is a DPC joint, not a DPC.

This joint consists of
mortar
the DPC material (bitumen felt in this case)
mortar

There is no need to scrape away anything, you can see that there is DPC there as the wall below is damp and the wall above is dry.

tell80 i'll post some photos soon, basically walls look stained and paint peeling

woody you think its a bitumen felt DPC. What makes you say that, I can't see a bitumen felt membrane sticking out

Stevecc,
Scrape at the mortar bed if you want you wont do any harm. Maybe you will find, as I mentioned, a DPC inserted in the mortar.

Bonni also mentioned "bitumen" if thats what the DPC material turns out to be.

Certain mortar beds sometimes act as the "DPC" & enable the wall above the bed to remain dry.

Just noticed your last post:
Have you already tried scraping it out a little?

I'll scrap some of the mortar and see what I can find.

There is nothing sticking out of the mortar, such as a mebrane or slate or bitumen, along its length

Update

It turns out the DPC was slate buried in the mortar. Also I think the slate DPC spans the cavity

it's been repointed over. The moss and stains show there is a great deal of water there. Please stand back and take a wider pic. You need to find the source. It may well be a broken drain or pipe leak. Show all pipes, manholecovers, drains, and also the gutter and downpipes.

the white marks are often found near a washing machine, from the soapy water.

Thanks I'll take a wide photo.

I think it could be the wide gap between the wall and the concrete pathway that is allowing rainwater into the foundations and wetting the wall and causing the algae to grow.

Not seen the roof leaking. Not sure how to detect a leaking drain

downpipes and kitchen sinks often go into a gulley beside the house. Older houses have glazed clay gullies which IME are always cracked or broken and leaking. I'm told there is an unbroken one somewhere but I have never seen it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back