damp proof membrane mesh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im hoping for some advice on what should be happening with the damp proof membrane mesh being installed in my very damp kitchen (mesh on all walls).
1. Should washer seals be used on all plastic plugs below window cill height
2. lots of holes have been drilled into the mesh that havent been used. Some sort of joining tape has been used to cover some, but am i right in thinking every single tiny hole needs to be covered
3. should all joins be taped
4. how are plug socket holes etc handled
5. how are holes where pipes go from inside to out handled
6. how are window and cills managed
7. There are some large creases around the chimney breast - is that ok?
8. How does ventilation into chimney get managed?
9. the membrane is being dot and dabbed, boarded and plastered. How would i then fix my kitchen units to the walls? (No battens have been used).
They have started plasterboarding the walls, so I really need to address this with them in the morning, before they have boarded over everything.. :(

10. I was led to believe the guarantee for the work would be circa 20 years (as the building owner is around 55 years old, not likely to be tested out!), but what should i expect to receive (in writing) for a guarantee .. Im assuming its the builder guarantee and not the manufacturer guarantee ...

11. In addition, after receiving what now seems to be incorrect advice, I will be digging out the concrete floor and laying a DMP and insulation, before re-concreting. So effectively the room should be tanked. Anything I should be aware of, that springs to mind?

Any constructive advice or guidance you can give me would be hugely appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Given what you have previously written and shown in pics then you are a long way from re-fixing any kind of tanking membrane/mesh.
Without pics its difficult to be accurate but maybe, if you have damp signs, then you should hack off all wall coverings - plaster and membranes - back to brick, and dig out any solid floors without a membrane/DPM?

Hi Tell80 - sorry i wasnt clear. All that you have suggested has been/is being done, but i wanted to check it was being done correctly. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back