Damp-proofing a cellar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(Apologies if there's a better sub-forum, I didn't spot one)

We went to look around a terraced town-house in Durham from ~1800 (we think). It's 3 stories and a proper cellar. We were told that due to the age of the house there is no damp course and it's known as a 'damp cellar' (I think) which means the property relies on the cellar being kept aired to keep the house dry. I assume it means the damp escapes into the void under the house and then it is deliberately draughty so the wet air can escape?

Anyway it's a full-height, large space that could have wonderful potential but of course it would be a serious undertaking. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to investigate this further.

As an aside, is it appropriate to have a tradesman/architect/whoever (see, I don't even know that) come and look around a for-sale property to give an estimate/quote for this type of thing? Old houses are always a case of "buyer beware" to some extent (I grew up in old stone houses) but this is a bit beyond that, and cellars are are bit unusual!

Sponsored Links
How damp is it and how damp does it get. This is vital to know as to the choice of tanking - and to the cost. You may only know how damp it gets by living in the property for a year to assess it. Any clues that suggest how damp its got historically?

Also is there an alternate means of escape eg an escape window? Without an alternative escape it will never get Building Regs approval and can never legally be sold as a habitable room.

How damp is it and how damp does it get. This is vital to know as to the choice of tanking - and to the cost. You may only know how damp it gets by living in the property for a year to assess it. Any clues that suggest how damp its got historically?
It was damp and cool but not dripping wet and didn't smell dank - take your point about having to live with it but it's just been the wettest month for some years here so that's probably helpful in guessing it doesn't get sodden? It is very airy because it's deliberately not draught-proof, there is an old coal chute and another small hatch which are kept open. Not a system I'm familiar with but I think it doesn't try to stop damp coming in, it just makes sure it can breath away. One fear is that damp-proofing the cellar might have a knock-on effect on the upstairs if it relies on this "damp cellar" to stop rising damp?

Also is there an alternate means of escape eg an escape window? Without an alternative escape it will never get Building Regs approval and can never legally be sold as a habitable room.
Good point, I'd forgotten the silly rules that existing dangerous rooms are just fine, but all new ones have to have secondary exits ;) The coal hatch is at street level and too small, but there is also a hatch onto the rear garden and I'm sure that could be converted depending on exactly what is required.

There is already a fixed staircase and lighting but I assume it would be classed as a proper conversion, no way to convince anyone it's already a room ;)

I should also note the property is Grade II listed, I don't know if that would mean the cellar has to be retained or not?

Thanks for your post.

Sponsored Links
Err! Oh dear, it's definitely grade II and not garde II*? Who knows what you would and would not be able to do without applying for consent. I would say have a chat with conservation officer at your local authority but they're often far to busy for such menial discussions! Is the conversion of the basement crucial to you living there? You know you won't be able to sneeze without applying for listed building consent?

I know the way listed buildings are treated in the UK is often bordering on the ridiculous, but not how it works - if a property that's listed cannot be changed at all, or if certain specific features are listed, etc. I understand it can be a PITA and doesn't only apply to externally visible features but the 'authenticity' of the house, so to speak?

I don't know if it would be deal-breaker but something in me would always consider a cellar a wasted opportunity, partly because of the potential amazing possibilities to create something special and partly for the potential value increase (though I can imagine the costs might wipe most of that out).

What about the idea of having someone come and look at it - is that rude when you haven't even made an offer, or is it prudent when dealing with an old house? For instance the cellar has wooden beams holding up the floor above which are rather wormed... the owner says he has a certificate stating they are fit for purpose issued after they were treated, but I'd certainly want a pretty comprehensive survey on an old house !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back