Damp. Seems too high for rising damp?

That looks very wet to be rising damp. Do you have any pipes running under the floorboards? My mains water runs under my floorboards along the external wall, if that started leaking it would probably make everything very wet before any damp smell started. Could something have been damaged during renovation?
Assume you're referring to me and my original post?
No, nothing at all under the floors, on my side anyway. The plumber is putting heating in this week as it happens. This may be the issue possibly on the neighbour's side of course.

Sponsored Links
water supply pipes are often buried in the ground.

water supply pipes are often buried in the ground.
mine aren't, it just runs along the concrete sub floor and through gapes in the walls, but most things in my 1930s house seem a but unusual.

Well it would appear, although not conclusive yet, that the damp was possibly due to next door. They've been living away for the past couple of weeks and the wall appears to be starting to dry out. I'll try and get to access and properly confirm when I get to see them next.
20210929_092813.jpg
20210929_092824.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Update, but no resolution yet :(
I've spoken to the neighbour and been inside on his side. They have exposed stone walling in the area in question. The mortar is also clearly damp up to the same height. It would seem that it was a known issue. Adjacent, they have a small kitchenette area which has been built away from the wall. Presumably, to let everywhere breathe. Unfortunately I don't have any direct pictures. The ones below are taken from Rightmove when he bought it in 2018.

My next question is, how do I mask the damp on my side?

The neighbour, a builder, suggested that I batten it out. Leaving an air-gap top and bottom to allow it to breathe.
If I was to do this then I was going to use foil-backed board but, would any moisture evaporating from the wall possibly condense on the back and run down the back rotting the carpet below?

Alternatively, could I paint over the plaster with SBR, sealing it all in and then paint over with emulsion?

I know you'll say to "do it properly, do it once" etc but, it's a rental property. I realise that it may need painting again every couple of years. I really don't want to be chopping it all back to the stonework and injecting dpc etc.

Another thought, as it appears that next door have done, could be to put the radiator on the damp wall. This will at least keep it warm and all at bay. In the winter at least.

Capture 1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Your neighbour has a stone wall showing and wisly left it exposed. You should do the same

Your neighbour has a stone wall showing and wisly left it exposed. You should do the same
Probably would've been nice in hindsight but I don't really think it's an option now, having been plastered etc. It would look a right mess even if I did want to make the effort in chiselling it all off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back