Damp Single-skin wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, firstly i'm not sure if this belongs here or in insulation, but I'll try here and sit with my tin hat on!

Previous owners of our house added a single skin front porch with single glazed windows. The paint on the front wall is constantly flaking off. I have stripped back on one occasion and some plaster came with it.
Have made some repair with repair plaster and re-painted, but same again.

I am assuming the cause is the single skin wall.

I am thinking of selling soon, so would like to make some cosmetic improvements without spending a fortune.

Would there be any benefit in battening plasterboard to the two external walls? to give it a bit of a cavity? (shown in the photo)

If so, what type of plasterboard (normal or foil backed) and how thick should the battens be? (I don't want to give too much of an already small porch up!

View media item 14521 View media item 14522 View media item 14523

Sponsored Links
You'd probably be better off using PU foam backed plasterboard to insulate the wall but it would be better first to eliminate the damp causing the problem if you can identify the cause. Could be you've no damp course, or penetrating damp from driving rain, or condensation because of poor glazing and a thin wall. Also watch out for condensation running down wall from windows.
On the other hand if it's just for the purpose of selling the place you could simply re-fill/paint and keep the brush handy for touching up.

Fiver says it's condensation. Wet shoes/boots/coats being left in a mini greenhouse will soon make the inside wet.

Fitting an air vent somewhere (windows vent/airbricks? should solve the problem.

But as mentioned a quick makeover will be fine just for selling. In the meantime, maybe fit a door chain/cabin hook and leave the door ajar when you are at home during the day.

Sponsored Links
Fiver says it's condensation. Wet shoes/boots/coats being left in a mini greenhouse will soon make the inside wet.

Fitting an air vent somewhere (windows vent/airbricks? should solve the problem.

But as mentioned a quick makeover will be fine just for selling. In the meantime, maybe fit a door chain/cabin hook and leave the door ajar when you are at home during the day.

Thanks, air brick not possible due to cement render on the outside. However, I think this problem got worse after I repaired a very rottenoutside windowsil which may have been letting a draught in!

There is a bit of a vent at the foot of the front door, but perhaps not enough.

I think i'll be getting just the paintbrush out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back