Damp through pointing??? (pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a damp issue. Behind these walls are two patches of damp. One behind the gate post and one behind the wall nearest the the bay window. Does the pointing look okay?

Image005-1.jpg

Image006-1.jpg

Image004-2-1.jpg

Image008.jpg

Image007.jpg

Any clues please?

Sponsored Links
pointing looks ok i dont think its that i dont think the pictures are sufficiant to be able to determine the cause of the damp try doing some full on distant shoots plus where is the damp pictures of that to would be good.

on the back wall i suppose you could say pointing maybe but without being there i cant determine it properly i dont think it is but pictures say it is and for the side alley the only thing i can think of is the bolt holes holding the timber frame up.

Sponsored Links
the struck weathering surface to the pointing looks as if it has broken down. the mortar itself, in these areas, looks friable.

the odd thing is though, one of the circled areas is sheltered below a window sill. :confused:

if it is penetrating damp then re-pointing may help.

No it hasn't. Good point.

The pointing below the sill does look to be darker ie wetter than the rest doesn't it..

the struck weathering surface to the pointing looks as if it has broken down. the mortar itself, in these areas, looks friable.

the odd thing is though, one of the circled areas is sheltered below a window sill. :confused:

if it is penetrating damp then re-pointing may help.

The mortar joints are still quite solid though, they do not crumble easily. Would you still suggest that it could be just a pointing issue?

possibly. there are too many scenarios to nail it down to one specific vulnerability.

if re-pointing does not work then it is one more off the list and back to head-scratching.

on the 2nd shot below the red circle and behind the bottom hinge, the pointing is different [why]. plus where the timber frame is attached to the house why have they cut through the wall where its steps out instead of cutting the frame to suit. just my thoughts.

cheers diggerjones

Thanks for your replies. Now I've had some advice from a handy man I know. He suggests mixing:

Five parts Holmsand

Half part hydrated lime

Half part cement

After 24 hours wire brush pointing to roughen surface

I'm not sure about the wire brush bit though. Is that right!! I would have thought by using a wire brush you make the surface of the pointing more porous. Any info chaps??

A wire brush is sometimes used on flush joints to match the new work to the existing. Its got nothing to do with weather proofing. Where they have cut through the plinth to fit the gate post is probably a point where water can run into the wall. Those Edwardian houses in Bristol are usually backed up with brickwork to form a solid wall and any water penetrating the stonework usually soaks through the brickwork. A lot of them have ribbon pointing with adds to the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back