Damp under Bay Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have some what looks like evidence of former damp under my 1930s bay window.
The bay window is not mine yet but will be once I complete on the house.
I have posted 2 photos : 1 of the cill and the other of the wall.
The wall and cill are dry to touch. I'm thinking this is caused by condensation though
cannot be sure. Rather than assume and employ the wrong tradesman to sort this out
I thought I would ask on this forum for opinions.

Many thanks in advance
Anthony

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 428
Sponsored Links
What's the condition of the external ?
Looks more like water ingress from outside to inside. More damage than I would expect from condensation alone ,but possible . Especially if over a long period of time / neglect.

Coming through, or under the frame/cill.

And if it's not obvious, expensive to fix.

Sponsored Links
Hello, thanks for replies up to know.
I have uploaded a picture of a view of the Bay from outside. I have also included another picture of the cill damage. The damage is on every joint of the cill (some worse than others) but the plaster damage is only in one place to the right of the radiator. I also included a picture of the smaller bedroom window that has no bay and you can see evidence there of condensation (black spores). The surveyor noted the damage to the windows and suggested condensation and found no damp. The owner said they had not decorated this room and they had lived with it for years.

Anthony

Attachments

• bay.jpeg
    bay.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 317

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back