Damp under parquet causing bitumen smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been advised that the bitumen smell coming from one of my ground floor rooms could be due to a damp. As the blocks sit on bitumen on top of a solid concrete floor, i am wondering what my options are.

Do i get a builder in to remove the floor completely and lay a new slab with insulation etc?

Or rip up the blocks and put a liquid DPM on top of the existing slab...

I don't want to raise the floor level too much if at all.

Also don't want to spend too much cash if i can help it...!!

Does bitumen smell when it gets wet, or is it the blocks rotting and the bitumen smell coming from that..

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are they woodblocks. Does sound like the smell is from damp under them. If you take them up then get flooring grade Ashpalt. Should be similar height.

Yep, woodblocks

I have a wierd damp problem around the edges of the floor, where it meets the wall. Some days it is as dry as a bone, other days damp. Take today, no rain for several days, scorching hot, but damp patch present.

No nearby pipework. No drains on outside of that wall. No leaks - when i went on holiday for a week the water meter hardly moved.

Therefore reasonable to assume i guess, that if the edges are damp the middle of the floor must be too.

I have done all the usual checks - outside ground level is below exterior DPC. Inside floor level IS slightly below the internal leaf DPC however, but it was built that way.

Who would i call to take a look at this? A damp proof co didn't want to know - its been injected in the past.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Think you be best putting this question on www.theflooringforum.com some good lads on there that might know. I only deal with floors myself mate, so not sure myself. If you could take a few pictures to upload that might help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back