Damp upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a problem with damp in my 120 y/o stone built terraced house. I have black mould on the walls on both my front and back rooms upstairs. I have painted over this before with a waterproof paint but the problem still persists can anyone offer some advice?

Sponsored Links
Without seeing it i would say that the pointing is open and letting in water. Have a look outside at the pointing and see if there is any voids in it. If you do find voids you will have to cut them back 20 to25mm and repoint them. The mix for pointing stonework is 2 washed sand 2 washed sharp sand 1 cement and half lime with some pva added. Dont make the mix to wet as it will smear the stone. Before you start to repoint wash down the walls as this will get rid of the dust. If the holes in the pointing are deep dont fill out in one go build it up in layers.

Black mould is indicative of condensation issues.

But you need to determine if its a straightforward case of moist air condensing on the cold wall, or if there is some penetrating dampness from the outside which is then lowering the wall temperature.

Either way no amount of waterproof paint on the inside will stop this.

Check the external wall and follow the FAQ for dealing with condensation

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back