Damp

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Looking a bit of advice.

I purchased house 2 months ago and the en-suite is constantly damp. I think the seller painted it be sale but as we have been using the en-suite the wall which is a gable wall paint is bubbling and always around the floor at bottom of wall is wet sometimes pools of water!

There is no window in it just 4 glass blocks which is pointless but there a an extractor fan which is working correctly.

I have also notice on the same wall in the bedroom this time the bottom corner has now displayed black mould/damp.

How can I resolve this issue? is it maybe that the gable wall is not insulated in the cavity? would installing a window that can be opened in the en-suite be beneficial?

Sponsored Links
Not too sure how powerful the fan is but it has an extractor into in the loft. Fan is very close to shower enclosure.

Don't think there is gap under door but I do leave door open after using en-suite

Sponsored Links
A fan with a humdisat might be useful...

Hopefully, it will continue to extract the moist air until it no longer "sees" moist air.

I have two at home and, yes, it seems a bit weird to live home whilst the fan is still running but, hey it works and at some point after I leave, they decide to stop extracting.

What kind of fan did you purchase? Do u have a link? Is it just a matter of replacing fan?

A fan with a humdisat might be useful...

Hopefully, it will continue to extract the moist air until it no longer "sees" moist air.

I have two at home and, yes, it seems a bit weird to live home whilst the fan is still running but, hey it works and at some point after I leave, they decide to stop extracting.

breeno, you seem to have something more than just condensation going on.
why not post pics of inside the en-suite and the outside damp signs.

Not too sure if humidistat fan would solve issue.

I have taken some pics 2 of the floor which is the same along bottom of gable wall and 1 of the wall showing paint bubbling and wall is wet to touch, what does everyone think?

Attachments

• DSC_0921.JPG
    DSC_0921.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0920.JPG
    DSC_0920.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0922.JPG
    DSC_0922.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 73
it looks like you have a leaking shower surround or shower base. but, having said that, given you have no mechanical extraction or natural venting then it could be a big condensation issue.
based on whats above, only trial and observation or a skilled person on site can give a definitive answer.

Around the shower tray is dry as it the opposite side of the room.

I think it's a condensation issue so I plan to rip all out and put a window that can open in it almond with new bathroom suite shoukd hopefully fix all issues!!

Thanks for everyone's advice

Update, I dried all round the area at bottom of wall drained the toilet cistern and woke up this morning floor soaking again.

I have checked for water leaks around all pipes and notice the cistern water running of it due to the coldness of the water it holds, would that be an issue?

I am going to get a electric dehumidifier to see if that helps

Small electric dehumidifier has done the trick.

Had it on over wkd floor and walls all dry. Just need to have it on a while to keep on top of it.

So I take it condensation is the issue??

Small electric dehumidifier has done the trick.

Had it on over wkd floor and walls all dry. Just need to have it on a while to keep on top of it.

So I take it condensation is the issue??

Yes. Get a decent inline duct fan to extract water vapour out of the room. Mine is rated to remove 245 m3 of water every hour and while it won't remove ALL the condensation it does a great job of extracting most of the steam from the shower or sink before it ends up as condensation on walls and windows.

I've not had a problem with that or mold since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back