Damping fridge noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Zanussi under-counter fridge with small freezer compartment has an acceptable noise level during the day. I have had the fridge about 3 years. It hasn't got louder since new.

But as I sleep in the adjacent room to the kitchen, the fridge often wakes me when it switches on during the night.

Any suggestions for damping the noise? I have tried placing some thick carpet under the fridge, with no luck.
Can you buy super-quiet fridges nowadays?

Sponsored Links
Regrettably, there will be very little you can do about the noise, other than increase the distance between where you sleep and where the F/F is located.

Some F/F these days have an linear compressor that helps reduce noise.

What type of noise is it?

Sponsored Links
Can you buy super-quiet fridges nowadays?
Yes well at least they are less likely to wake you. The gas fridge has always been very quiet and the thermoelectric Peltier System only makes a noise when a fan is included however both are inefficient systems OK for car or caravan not really for the home.

But driving the motor with an inverter means it starts smoother and although running likely the same noise as any other fridge with an electric motor because it tends not to bang and rattle as it starts it is less likely to wake you up.

The inverter used in domestic is very different from commercial with domestic fridge and freezer there has always been a problem letting the pressure drop before starting the motor and a thermal device is often used which should it try to start when there is still pressure will trip and auto re-set latter hopefully when there is less pressure and the fridge will run. This device is prone to failure and by removing it manufacturers can offer a 10 year guarantee on the motor and inverter although they often don't include the other electronics which are also needed.

What it does is use a three phase motor instead of single phase which are better at starting and the inverter gives a soft start and well as turning single phase into three phase. So it stops the common rattle when the fridge starts.

Using a caravan fridge would be nearly silent but for some reason the standard annual energy consumption (SAEc) does not apply to absorption fridges and in general they use 5 times the power required for an electric motor fridge. Because they are designed as multi-fuel although in many caravans they are only ever run on electric they are exempt from the COMMISSION DELEGATED REGULATION

Am I correct in thinking it's the noise as it starts rather than the run noise which is the problem? Both my fridge/freezer and freezer are both inverter types and if it were not for the green display during the day I would not know they were running. During the night yes you can hear them but the main difference is no banging as they start.

Any suggestions for damping the noise?
At the back of the fridge, check the mounting bolts for the compressor (large black lump) are not loose, and the rubber washers if any are still in place.

Other things to check are that the copper pipes in that area are not in contact with the sides or back of the fridge, and they don't contact the wall or anything else when the fridge is under the worktop.

Some types have a plastic evaporator tray on top of the compressor which can also be loose, if so put a blob of silicone sealant between the tray and compressor, or a piece of foam/carpet underlay etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back